Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Table Mesa, and Florence, AZ

Last thursday I went to Mesa, AZ, to see some friends and checkout the local trails. On friday morn, we packed up for 2 days in the Table Mesa area. Friday we did Lower and Upper Terminator. Lower T is a great trail. At most obsticles, there were a few lines to choose from. This made the trail as tough or easy as you wanted to make it. This was good, cuz 2 of my friends have stretched TJ's on 1 tons. I almost rolled on the last waterfall on lower T, but I drove out of it, as if I knew what I was do'n. Upper T is a bit easier. But it claimed my friends XJ. The water pump let go. He broke at the base of a waterfall. Man, XJ's are heavy, when trying to drag them up and over a 4' ledge. We did a short night run, on Raw Deal. Saturday was hard core day. We ran Anaconda 1st. It had a serious waterfall, that was spooky, but I made it. At this point I'm realizing how many waterfalls these trails have. There were plenty more to come. We then headed over to Collateral Damage. This trail was the highlight for me. Lots of tough waterfalls, one after another. Except for one, I managed the trail on my own. This was satisfying, cuz usually only trail only rigs on 37's+, do this trail. This trail did make me pay. I got more body damage then I ever have on 1 trail. But, it was worth it. I had a blast. Sunday was a new spot. Florence. I was on the road at 3am to get there by 4. We wanted to be done wheel'n by 10. We started with Upper Ajax. Again, more waterfalls, and more body damage. My poor jeep took a beating, I push it harder then i ever have before. But it took it like a champ, and got thru everything, without breaking on me. Then it was on to Highway 2 Hell. This trail reminded me of Motino, but harder. We did 7 trails in 3 days. It was the best off road trip, I've ever done. If you can ever make it out there, I highly recommend it. I tried to hook up with Chris, but, our schedules didn't match. Maybe next time. Its great seeing other peoples wheel'n spots. You might think desert is desert. But, AZ desert is different, and the trails are tighter, more walls to fall into, as my tub can atest to. Waterfalls are the most common obstical, as opposed to rock gardens that we have. I can't wait to go back.

Here's a couple pics. If you want to see all 100+ pics, checkout https://picasaweb.google.com/JoeCarmean/ArizonaTrip412#

It was like that when I got here.

That looks like fun, Arizona and New Mexico trails are on the to do list. Looks like wheelbase is your friend there

Comment

WB is helpful there. The blk rubi, is 107. The white tj is 111, and still only has the 231 t-case. The white one was still able to do some things the blk one couldn't do, just cuz of WB. This summer, the blk jeep is go'n to 113.

Comment

111" wheelbase has been working really well for me. It feels really good on anything steep where the nose is way up in the sky.
        It just about makes a mountain goat jealous lol
        Your Picassa account has some really cool shots in there makes me want to load up and head out there.
        Probably to hot by the first week of June though
        Last edited by aw12345; 05-06-12, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          111" wheelbase has been working really well for me. It feels really good on anything steep where the nose is way up in the sky.
          It just about makes a mountain goat jealous lol
          Your Picassa account has some really cool shots in there makes me want to load up and head out there.
          Probably to hot by the first week of June though
          Thanks. It's get'n close to the off season out there for sure. I lucked out. The week b4 I was there it was 102. Only low 90's when I was there. My buddy tells me, in a couple months, night runs are even too hot. Sure glad we have big bear, to get us thru the summer.

Comment

Looks like it was a great wheeling trip! I'm bummed I couldn't get out to meet up with you guys, work is killing me right now. Sorry about the body damage, I guess it did make me smile though to see I'm not the only one that beats up the Jeep on these trails. The summer is well upon us now and it is extremely warm. The night runs are indeed too hot unless you make it up north a bit more. Glad you guys had a great time out here, next time you're out I doubt I'll be working so much.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
            X