Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Southern Death Valley

Phil, Craig & I just finished a 4 day trip through southern Death Valley. We'd been to Panamint Valley a couple times, taking day trips from the RV parked Ballarat. We'd been to Butte Valley once, and thought the Gelogist Cabin would be a great place to spend th night. So, we planned a tent camping trip across the Panamints and through southern Death Valley. Our general route was:

Wed night – Ridgecrest Hampton Inn

Thur – to Ballarat, up Goler Wash, over Mengel Pass, stayed at Geologist Cabin. This was the nicest adopt-a-cabin I’ve seen (one of the few I’d actually sleep in). The only weather problem was the wind that night, which we spent inside.

Fri – east across Butte Valley, north up West Side Road. Side trip up Johnson Canyon, with a hike to Hungry Bill’s Ranch (well worth the hike, interesting story there). Then north to Furnace Creek for gas, then up Echo Canyon. We camped in hills just past Inyo Mine.

Sat – up to top of Echo Pass, then down to Green Water Valley. We didn’t find a good place to camp there, so on to Shoshone for dinner, and to the mines east to Topeca that night. Great mines to explore.

Sun – south to Baker, and home

Here is a slide show of the trip:
    http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...view=slideshow

Sample pics:

Entering Panamint Valley:

Ballarat greeter:

Butte Valley, from Mengel Pass:

Butte Valley, from inside Geologist Cabin:

Warming up the cabin:

Hungry Bill’s Ranch site:

Camping spot – near Inyo Mine:

Room with a view:

Noonan Mine – near Topeca:

Nice pics and enjoyed the slide show. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice trip and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
      Rich

Comment

Looks like a fun trip. The mines outside of Tecopa are very fun to explore.

Chris

Comment

Nice report Cliff. Looks like a fun trip.
          Check out .

Comment

Hah, I was there this weekend as well!

We went up Echo canyon, and saw on the map that it was "short wheelbase only", but I didn't see anything on the trail that required short wheel base, or even 4lo for that matter. Did I miss something there? We were kinda dissapointed with that trail.

Titus Canyon was very beautiful, did yall drive through there as well? I totally want to do that one again, it was beautiful. I'll post up some photos later
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
              Hah, I was there this weekend as well!

We went up Echo canyon, and saw on the map that it was "short wheelbase only", but I didn't see anything on the trail that required short wheel base, or even 4lo for that matter. Did I miss something there? We were kinda dissapointed with that trail.

Titus Canyon was very beautiful, did yall drive through there as well? I totally want to do that one again, it was beautiful. I'll post up some photos later
              damn dude thanks for the invite

Comment

The only part of Echo canyon that requires 4lo is if you take the cut off to amargosa valley. There is one dry waterfall that you have to climb. Echo canyon is a bueatifull place to explore and Inyo mine is a lot of fun to see.

Comment

Originally posted by clg82 View Post
                  damn dude thanks for the invite
                  Hah! Sorry, we kept this trip a small group, just two jeeps. Next time
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                    Hah! Sorry, we kept this trip a small group, just two jeeps. Next time
                    yeh i see, one more would have made the group huge lol

Comment

Cliff, nice pictures. A favorite place to explore! The round rock structure you asked about was an arrastre. They were used to break up ore and seperate gold from the rock. Some were manual and some were mechanically turned.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch - thanks, I'd not heard of an "arrastre". I looked it up, sure looks like what we found. Here's a description: http://www.sierrafoothillmagazine.com/goldmethods.html

Here's what we found:

Comment

not wanting to start a new thread, here's my photos:

http://404photography.net/_galleries/Death%20Valley/

We went on very easy trails, mostly looking for places to photography. Yall might understand that ;-)
                          Last edited by daniel_buck; 05-04-12, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Nice pics Dan. Last one makes your rig look like and RC vehicle.

You guys covered some ground out there.

Comment

we spent 3 days out there, but still didn't go everywhere we wanted to, hah!

Comment

Working...
                              X