Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: The Big Apple Trail Report - April 1, 2012

I am sad that I missed the 8th Annual IDTT Run. I was in New York City to attend two weeks of training for a computer system upgrade project which will take place over the next few months. I usually find that the cost of flying home for the weekend is about the same as the cost of staying in New York City for the weekend, but this time, the airfare was much higher, so I stayed in New York and missed all of the fun in Calico. On Sunday, April 1, I decided to rent a Jeep so I could explore the famous "Canyons" of New York City while my MJR friends were exploring Odessa Canyon and Doran Canyon. A fellow member of Jeep Expeditions who lives in Long Island, NY agreed to lead the Big Apple Trail Run. As it turned out, we were the only two club members who were able to make the run. We met in the parking lot of the Long Island Rail Road train station in Ronkonkoma, NY. I had rented a black 4-door JK:

Our first stop was the local shopping mall so we could do a "mall crawl". This was the biggest obstacle we could find in the mall. My stock JK easily made it up, and I didn't even have to air down!

While you were exploring mine ruins and and remains of mining camps around Calico, we explored the ruins and remains of a large community in central Long Island known as Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. Some of the buildings are still in use, but many are unoccupied and some have been demolished. Here is one of the vacant structures:

We couldn't explore the vacant structure because it was fenced and had posted "no trespassing" signs. Instead, we took a two-track dirt trail which led to an unusual water tower:

Here are some pictures of the interior of the tower:

Some of the wild animals we found in Central Long Island:

After exploring the remains of the Pilgrim Psychiatric Center, it was lunch time, and what better place to enjoy lunch than at the original Nathan’s Hot Dog Stand in Coney Island?

After lunch, we strolled along the boardwalk and stopped our Jeeps next to the Cyclone roller coaster:

(continued)
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Brooklyn

After leaving Coney Island, we passed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge enroute to Brooklyn:

The Brooklyn Bridge:

The Carousel at Brooklyn Bridge Park:

Remains of a warehouse:

The Manhattan Bridge:

(continued)
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-08-12, 09:36 AM. Reason: Corrected caption: Manhattan Bridge not the Williamsburg Bridge
    KI6MLU

Comment

LOL Way to make the best of it Russ!! You saw so many famous landmarks!

We missed you and Ziggy in Calico! Hope to see you on a trail soon! Making the Rubicon??

Lorie
      Jeep Girl

Comment

Cemeteries

While you were visiting the Calico Ghost Town Cemetery, we visited Calvary Cemetery in Queens, NY. The Roman Catholic Cavalry Cemetery in Queens, NY is the largest cemetery in the United States with over 3 million burials:

Mines and Tunnels

Calico has many mines and tunnels to explore. New York City has them, too. . I have often wondered why miners always locate their mines a considerable distance from towns and cities, making it necessary to travel long distances over rough roads in 4x4 vehicles to reach the mines. I was happy to see that in the Big Apple, the miners had the foresight to dig their mines and tunnels right in the heart of the city so that it would be easy for explorers to reach them. They even built stairways so that visitors could access the mines and tunnels more easily:

(continued)
        KI6MLU

Comment

As we left Calvary Cemetery, rain began to fall. It is ironic that rain fell during the IDTT too. The rain helps to reduce the amount of dust from the trail. Indeed, I noticed very little dust during the Big Apple Expedition. This is the Manhattan Skyline as seen from Queens:

We took the Midtown Tunnel and soon found ourselves in the Canyons of New York City. I believe that this is known as the E.35th Street Canyon:

We also found a very unusual site in downtown Manhattan--an empty parking spot. Click on the picture to see the video:

Times Square

We drove through Time Square, but since parking was impossible to find, and the rain was falling steadily, we decided not to explore Times Square on foot, and headed for dinner.

We had NY Pizzas for dinner, then I bid farewell to the trip leader and returned the Jeep to the rental company. In summary, we found plenty of trails in New York City that can be negotiated by a stock Jeep. In fact, I just realized that I drove the entire day, April 1, and never put the transfer case in 4 wheel drive!
          Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-07-12, 07:19 AM.
          KI6MLU

Comment

Cool trip

Comment

Hi Russ,

Missed you on the Calico IDTT run; I was looking forward to wheeling with you again. However, I see you made the best of your time out in NY. I really enjoyed your narrations that accompanied the pictures, funny thing is I wouldn’t have thought of New York as having many canyons but from your perspective sitting in a Jeep it does seem appropriate to call them canyons.

Thank you for sharing your pictures. :thumbs_up

Bernie

Comment

nice pics and urban wheeling

Comment

The mines at Calico look a little safer than the ones in New York....but about the same amount of grafitti.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                    The mines at Calico look a little safer than the ones in New York....but about the same amount of grafitti.
                    Sad but very true!

Comment

Russ, Awsome report. I havent been to NY in a very long time so this took me back. Ive been to BB Park several times but dont remember that warehouse. That is cool. Thanks for the pics.
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice pics Russ!
                        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                        WEB site

Comment

Okay Russ, you left out the other "Wall Street" canyon on your exploriation of NYC! While we were looking at Wall Street Cyn in Calico, you should have been at Wall Street Cyn NYC!!!!
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Very nice tour Russ. It was awfully courageous of you to actually drive in Manhattan. Glad that you avoided trail damage from the yellow obstacles.

Mike
                            "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Ha! I love it Russ! Great pics. Manhattan is an awesome place.
                              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X