Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: IDTT Stocker Run

I decided to start a seperate thread for this since the IDTT 2012 thread has reached 15 pages!

So, for those of you who like to explore and like history, the stocker run will be a trip to the Alvord Mine. This mine is N/E of Calico. It is very large and has a lot of history to it. If you want to look for a little gold in the tailings, you just might be lucky enough to pay for your trip! :>)

Some words of caution:

It is a large mine so we need to be careful that younger children don't wander off.

Bring a good flashlight and even a spare wouldn't hurt

Wear boots

Watch for snakes

Bring a lunch and plenty of water

After we leave the mine, we will be exploring the north side of Calico mountain. there is a wonderful overlook above Coyote Dry Lake. With any luck we'll see lots of wild flowers. We will probably return to camp via Philips Loop Road. A good one for stockers!

If you think this might interest you, please let me know
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I will be on this run with you my Locker had to be pulled so I am back to open differential I have both CB and Two meter along with all the other essential off road gear I can be tail gunner for you if you would like.

Comment

Hi Roger,
      Sounds good, what day do you think you'll run this? If I can bail my jeep out of the dealer repair shop in time I would enjoy exploring the mine again. Was out there a couple of years ago and it was very impressive. I explored some of the upper level but not the lower and would like some company this time. Love history.

It would be a day trip for me, I don't sleep on the ground much anymore.

Mike
      "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Can't wait to see the pics.

I mapped the eastern part of the Alvord mountains for my Senior Field class for my geology degree.

Comment

Working...
        X