Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Panamint Mines #2

I found one of the most interesting mines to date in the Panamints. There were lots of old mechanical equipment on site.

The mine looked like it was worked originally around the turn of the 19th century. The timbers were very old and very plentious. It looked like the tunnel went all the way through the mountain at one time and out the other side - though it was blocked with a cave in.

One side had the modern equipment in it, while the other side was very old looking with the 2 ore cars in it. Both sides of the mountain tunnels were caved in and blocked, but on the outside the miners ran air lines and water lines over the mountain connecting both tunnel enterances. The mines were 2 leveled with 2 different entrances.

The mines looked like they have been abandoned for several years. Pretty cool site to explore.

More Slides
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Newmans cabin

Barker Ranch

Last edited by mkjeepers; 03-15-12, 03:18 PM.

I think that is the same mine A few of us found last year at Panamint Valley Days. If my memory serves me correctly, you could go up further on a narrow switchback to another level of the mine or the exit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      I think that is the same mine A few of us found last year at Panamint Valley Days. If my memory serves me correctly, you could go up further on a narrow switchback to another level of the mine or the exit.
      There is a road to the top, but there was a bolder that pushed you over to the edge of the trail. From there I walked to the top of the hill and down to the older mine.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
        There is a road to the top, but there was a bolder that pushed you over to the edge of the trail. From there I walked to the top of the hill and down to the older mine.
        If that big boulder looks like this:

That is the Lotus mine. We were tight on time when we visited in 2008. Too bad that we didn't hike on up. The mine looks awesome. great stuff Mike!
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

That's the boulder. Just by the picture it looks fine to drive around. Not so when you see the drop to the right. We thought about going around it but decided against it. Next time a hike is in order.

Comment

Mike that is the boulder. You can only imagine in a JK - 5" wider than a TJ. The hike was pretty easy and well worth it. It's approx 1/2 mile to the mine on the other side. That mine looks to have been worked many years ago.

Comment

We visited this mine as well, we went to the shack with the two red tanks and looked around. Incredible vista of Panamint from up there. We were going to go up the other road but for some reason decided against it, seems it is kinda blocked. Maybe this weekend while we are out there we will take the hike.

Good to see the Burro's are still down from the mountains. We thought it was interesting how they pose for pictures. One lucky dawg last week got to see a Big Horn. Some have all the luck.

Comment

Awesome find Mike. We could search a lifetime and never see it all. Thanks for the report and pictures!

Comment

Mike,
                  That is the most interesting mine yet! Very cool machinery.

I was out at the Ruth mine just after Xmas and the mill structure was still there along with a long row of wooden cyanide processing vats. There was an open adit on the main flat area at the back of mill. Is that all gone now? The residences in the canyon were very eclectic don't you think?

Mike
                  "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
                    Mike,
                    That is the most interesting mine yet! Very cool machinery.

I was out at the Ruth mine just after Xmas and the mill structure was still there along with a long row of wooden cyanide processing vats. There was an open adit on the main flat area at the back of mill. Is that all gone now? The residences in the canyon were very eclectic don't you think?

Mike
                    Mike the mill is gone, the cyanide tanks are gone the buildings around the mill are gone and they were bulldozing the large red pile of tailings. They said we ain't letting you go in the mine tunnel .....

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
                      We visited this mine as well, we went to the shack with the two red tanks and looked around. Incredible vista of Panamint from up there. We were going to go up the other road but for some reason decided against it, seems it is kinda blocked. Maybe this weekend while we are out there we will take the hike.

Good to see the Burro's are still down from the mountains. We thought it was interesting how they pose for pictures. One lucky dawg last week got to see a Big Horn. Some have all the luck.
                      It is worth the hike, the road takes you right to the older mine. It is in two levels. The upper and the lower, both look identical inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                        Awesome find Mike. We could search a lifetime and never see it all. Thanks for the report and pictures!
                        Yea there are lots of old sites to check out. It's just nice to get out of the city and explore something interesting.....though I'm sure the old miners would say...these old mines are really boring and glad to leave them. LOL

Comment

What was the condition of Goler wash? Normal rocks and water? I was reading that it was impassible without lockers due to recent storms but I know good driving goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by explorer1 View Post
                            What was the condition of Goler wash? Normal rocks and water? I was reading that it was impassible without lockers due to recent storms but I know good driving goes a long way.
                            This is the worst section of the canyon, the rest is all easy 2wd. The water adds to the "fun". I'm open in both axles.

Balarat jail & town.

Comment

We were there, at the waterfall in Coyote Canyon, just last weekend. Water was coming down it pretty good so it was slick. Caught the group a head of us stacking rocks. We shamed them into unstacking the rocks. All made it over without issues once they learned where to place their tires.

If you continue on the trail through Mengal, there are some 4wd portions there but nothing a stocker with a good driver can't get throuhg. Main concern with Mengal would be the two rock gardens and hitting the rockers. We nailed one when our Rubicon was stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X