Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Finally got out! Dishpan, Holcomb & Gold Mtn last Sunday

It's been a long time coming. Between breaking, building and just plain knowing the limitations of my rig, I finally got out with my buddy, Eric - in his lifted, locked TJ last Sunday. I'm running 265/75-16 Treadwright Guard Dogs with 4.10's on open diffs. We had one day and wanted to make it count.

We started with Dishpan. That first little climb sure is fun! I first tried going left - not! I wound up dropping back a bit and going up the middle with a hard left to straighten back out.
    The waterfall was awesome! First I tried going up the center and using the log. My 32's had other ideas. I backed out and tried the left side by the tree. That turned out just as dismal. I finally pulled back up to the middle and put my left tires on the rock fin in the middle of the ruts. It just walked right up and I pulled another hard left to clear the obstacle. Why didn't I do this first?

My only damage came right after the waterfall. Because of the loose sand and uneven surface, I had to keep a little momentum. It came to a stop when I punched my front passenger tire into the rock in the middle of the trail - which bent the mainspring. It's not too bad. I just arched a 2 1/2" spring into a 3" spring. I have other springs to graft in so I'm not sweating it.

Holcomb was a different experience. I've learned that a rig on 32's makes the rock gardens more like super-sized pinball. I managed to find two perfectly YJ sized holes between the rocks. The first was just inside the west entrance. I perfectly double-diffed it. A couple of guys ahead of us - in a CJ-2A and 2dr Cherokee - came over right away to help. A few rocks and a turn of the wheel drove me right off.
    My next moment of doofusness was in the second garden. I planted that thing with the front diff 1" below the top of a big rock and both front spring pads resting nicely on top. The rears had just dropped off a good sized rock behind me. Eric and the hi-lift to the rescue! Eric lifted the front and our new-found trail buddies jumped right in to throw some rocks under the fronts. The dumb guy drove out again.
    In the last little rock garden, I'm certain all I did was pull up into a wheelie and dance across the tops with the motor singing. Eric had pulled ahead a bit and I needed to catch up. Being open didn't lend itself to going slow.
    The dropoff was a lot of fun! There was a group at the bottom with a TJ stuck on the rocks while trying to climb up. Once they were out, they left the way they came. When Eric went down, he showed me a good line to the right. He was even nice enough to show me how slick the rocks are as he slid to the right and bashed a nice scar in his hard top. "Oh BUGGER!" was heard throughout the hills. Bummer. My crossing was less eventful. After I dropped off the rocks, my front end slid left and lined me up perfectly to drive away from it.

Off we went to Gold Mountain. I had tried my tires now in sand, rocks, mud, water and on pavement. All that was left was snow. I found a small patch and had the brilliant idea of going into it a bit to try the traction. (Note to self - remaining snow is still cold enough to last because it's the deepest!) I sunk the front end into a two-foot deep hole. Eric to the rescue again! A quick pull with the strap reversed the effects of my over-stupidness.
    Back on the road to Gold mountain. I remembered looking at this eight years ago and having common sense get the better of me. Well, now I can say BTDT! I can't say this trail is over-rated, but running from north to south is far less extreme than the other two. It is however, a blast!

The weather was perfect. We only saw about ten people all day. I guess these gas prices have a (tarnished) silver lining. Thanks go out to my buddy Eric for babysitting me and the guys from Crestline - cool crew. Thanks to MJR AAT for the hard work on Holcomb. And thanks to those of you who have recycled parts running in my YJ as well as those of you who have expanded my knowledge base. Without all of you, this day would definitely still be a dream. Now it's an awesome memory.
    Last edited by 6spdYJ; 03-12-12, 11:31 PM.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

About time you took it out of the mall parking lot, glad you had some fun with your Jeep. You forgot about John Bull though.
    You will have to go back and run that too

Comment

I'm in agreement. John Bull is a fun little trail.

Sounds like a great day out though. I'm certainly jealous. Far as the gas prices, I was in Ca this past weekend... Hard to grab the pump at 4.79/gal.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

Eric suggested JB for another day by itself. Seeing as he's the JB veteran, I took his advice. Gas was $4.29. That's only $3 more than it should be.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Sounds like a great run! I'm glad to see you out on the mountains. Let us know if you want some company on JB!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice to hear from someone first hand that the trails are open. I was wanting to go but figured there might be too much snow on the trails.
            Ever feel like you are the Lunch!

Comment

All those trails in one day make for Full day of wheeling for sure!! Glad you had a great time!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip. I can not wait untill my Jeep is ready to run those trails. I have done Gold Mtn but never tried Dishpan or Holcomb.

Comment

Gold mountain is such a nice trail! That was my favorite of the bunch
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                  www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Big Bear's gorgeous! We actually ran Gold Mountain twice in one day; in the morning, and then at sunset too. Love that trail! All the trails up there are awesome...I have a nice John Bull "character mark" in my tire and on my rim from last year- Good times! I recently made it into an Offroad Magazine and both pictures they used of me wheelin' were from Big Bear ...can't wait to get back there. I'm not a fan of cold weather so I need to give it a bit longer, but we'll be back!
                    Jeep Girl

Comment

Working...
                    X