Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Pilot Rock Trail/Carnage Report

First a little back ground.

The first time I went wheeling in Big Bear I got to Dishpan after T-6 and tried to climb up it but failed do to that lack of traction in my stock TJ.

The next time I got to Dishpan I had a front locker and was all set to go but my trail buddy was in a stock Tacoma and there was no way he was even going to try it so we turned around.

The THIRD time I got to Dishpan I got sick with some intestinal bug and had to turn around and go home.

So yesterday (now locked F&R, running 35's and 4.88s) I was headed to Dishpan for the FOURTH time. The plan was to meet at Cedar Springs Dam, head up Pilot Rock (2N17X) and then hit Dishpan. My friends all knew this was my fourth attempt and they were willing to stick with me and show me the line(s).

We hit the trail right at about 08:30.

So we get about a mile from the top of Pilot Rock and Matt notices that he can't turn tot he left very well. He gets out to check and discovers a broken pitman arm. He has a pretty custom TJ with lots of lift so he uses a 6" drop.

We make some calls and cant find one at a local store but another member of the group, Phil, says he has a new 4" in his garage that he JUST took out of his XJ because he was tired of carrying around a spare that was never going to get use. LOL.

So Phil lives about an hour away and decides to go get it and come back.

In the mean time, Matt decides to nurse his broken TJ a bit further to see if he can get it to the top of Pilot Rock at 2N33. That way, if things go really bad, he can call his wife and she can drive the truck and trailer up 2N33 without any problem and he can tow his TJ home.

He did really well for about 1/2 mile until we got a a pretty gnarly down hill. His wheels turned hard right and would not budge. He started sliding a bit and we all got real uncomfortable with him making any further progress.

So, I got into position and winched him ten or so yards back up the hill to a nice flat spot.

While all of this was going on, our rescuer Phil who had left to get the pitman arm got on the radio. He blew out his rear diff about 100 yards from the top of Pilot rock and was stuck.

So once I got Matt onto safe group, we had a quick drivers meeting and split the group into two. Two working rigs would stay with Matt while two working rigs would go help Phil and get the part. By the time I got to Phil he was already strapped up so I was able to pull him onto a flat area. Once there he said the rear end was sounding OK and he wanted to try the last 100 feet to 2N33.

He did not make it. So one again I was on 2N33 and trying to winch Phil up to safe ground. I got him half way up and my winch died. I am pretty sure it just shut down do to thermal overload. So I turned around and hooked up with the strap again and pulled him to the top.

We all tried to drive down 2N33 back to the dam but Phil's XJ was making too much noise so we stopped and he pulled the rear driveshaft. He drove home in 4WD with the front wheels only and I followed. At this point it was clear that the trip was pretty much over so my wingman Justin made a left and took his young son home. I followed Phil for an hour + or so to his house in Hesperia, picked up the pitman arm and then headed back to Pilot Rock.

I got to run PR again and made it back to the group (Now 2:00 PM) and gave them the pitman arm. Of course they already had the old one off and tools ready to go. They got the new one installed and while they were doing that I checked my winch. Still would not work. Hmmmm.

Anyway, they were fixed in a very few minutes and the tools were put away and we head on up to the top and PR and then back down 2N33 to the dam where we all aired up, called it a day and headed down the 15 to TGIF for a nice dinner before going home.

So yeah, I still haven't done dishpan. LOL

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I got home and my winch seems to be working fine. At least under no load.
    Last edited by rkwfxd; 03-04-12, 07:11 AM.

That turned into quite the adventure. Seems like a good idea to carry a spare drop pitman arm, it isn't the first time one of those breaks

Comment

Yea I just took my spare pitman arm out of the jeep yesterday. So I guest I will put it back in today.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

After reading this story it dawned on me that I have been there before as far as the pitman arm. I used to use a 4" drop. It cracked on Bronco Peak. Since then I have heard of and seen at least four other 4" drop pitmans cracking. They crack in the same place everytime; right at the spot where the arm connects to the round boss that fits the output shaft of the steering gear. Plus mine had multiple little cracks all around the splined hole. I since went back to the factory pitman arm and have no bump steer. And no cracks. I'll think twice before using a drop again.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt I am with ya on that one, but if you need one you need one. In your case a steering ram makes a most excellent steering damper.
          Is one of the reasons you have no bump steer. Also yes they break right where you say they do, that is the stress point. Had to weld one last year for a friend while we were in JV. It's some kinda funky steel that doesn't weld very well. It got the Jeep of the trail and home though. Biggest advice would be if you have a drop pitman arm, check it often for cracks, carry a spare and a good pitman arm puller

Comment

Seems I added that last line too soon. My winch is toast. Warn 9.5 cti. Should still be under warranty. We will see.

Comment

Superwinch, you wont regret it...ask Chuck and Kurt, they purswaded me and was a great move

Comment

Yeah, if I can't get this Warn fixed I will NEVER purchase another one. I literally have 6 pulls on it and it is dead. Very disappointing.

Comment

Warn will take care of it. They are pretty darn good about warranty, I have 2 warn winches and both have treated me well, Super winch is a very good choice also

Comment

What luck! That story is almost unbelievable.
                    Jeep Girl

Comment

The big thing that concerns me about Warn is that the replacement contactor is listed as unavailable on their web site. As luck would have it I can not find my receipt or manual for the life of me. If they wont cover it under warranty because of that well then shame on me. I should have taken better care of those documents. But if the part is just not available on a new model winch, then I will be very upset. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by I H8RDS View Post
                        What luck! That story is almost unbelievable.
                        Yeah and I even forgot one part. As we were leaving Pilot Rock for the last time, Rich lost his front locker. Both lockers are OX and his cable was probably just out of adjustment but he had a real tuff time making it up the second to last climb. I had to spot him and coach him up. He got a little sideways but ultimately made it. Fun day.

Comment

Originally posted by rkwfxd View Post
                          The big thing that concerns me about Warn is that the replacement contactor is listed as unavailable on their web site. As luck would have it I can not find my receipt or manual for the life of me. If they wont cover it under warranty because of that well then shame on me. I should have taken better care of those documents. But if the part is just not available on a new model winch, then I will be very upset. We will see.
                          Never been much of a fan of the solid state stuff for winches. I had a problem with the remote on my first winch, cut it up to make it work, then called Warn afterwards after some ho humming they send me another one. They had originally wanted the defective one back. Still send me a new one without any cost to me. Never really got into the receipt thing. They should be able to tell a thing or two with the serial number on the winch.

By the way, for a not so hard a trail, you guys got behinds handed to ya. But then that makes for memorable times
                          Last edited by aw12345; 03-04-12, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            By the way, for a not so hard a trail, you guys got behinds handed to ya. But then that makes for memorable times
                            :-) Yes we did. But it makes for a great story. So much better than, "Yeah we went on a run and it was fun." I'll post up on what happens with the winch. BTW it is a 9.5 cti and I don't think it was even on the market before about May of last year so I should be good from that alone.

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip! The only thing missing was me with you guys breaking down...
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X