Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Calico Mines

Did some exploring of another of the many Calico mines. This one had quite a bit of wood work inside as well as being a huge cavern. Really nice mine.

Then as I came out of the mine there was a young lady and 3 dogs in a brand new JK totally lost and with a dead cell phone. She saw my Jeep and asked for help to get back to the highway. So we exited through mule canyon.

From there I checked out the mineral stained hills that gives Calico Mts it's name.

Slideshow
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

The 3 Calco tunnels

Cool mine

This one has more grafiti than I've ever seen - but a lot of it dates way back.

A really nice cavern style mine

Mule Canyon Rd

The Calico Hills

BTW that is a new Jeep

Last edited by mkjeepers; 02-18-12, 04:33 PM.

Where is this mine located in Calico Mountains? We have been to alot of them but this one doesn't look familiar
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

It's at the end of Odessa Cyn on the left - up real high.

Comment

Nice Pics Mike, I love the Mineral Stained Hills, If you get a chance you need to check out those hills right after a good rain storm, the colors are just amazing. Just stay off Mule Canyon road in the rain, its supper slippery dangerous when it is wet.

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood32 View Post
          Nice Pics Mike, I love the Mineral Stained Hills, If you get a chance you need to check out those hills right after a good rain storm, the colors are just amazing. Just stay off Mule Canyon road in the rain, its supper slippery dangerous when it is wet.
          I couldn't see doing that clay road when wet. Not my favorite conditions.
          Last edited by mkjeepers; 02-19-12, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Nice report and pictures mike.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great pics! You went pretty deep into that mine. It is way cool.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice, no chance you gotta .gpx file of your travels do ya?

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
                  Nice, no chance you gotta .gpx file of your travels do ya?
                  I haven't figured out how to use a GPS in that way yet. sorry

Comment

Still cant' figure out why people feel the need to graffitti and tag all over the place. This is not like it's an urban neighborhood. You gotta travel a ways to get out here.
                    2004 TJ X
                    Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Tagging has been going on for ages... Cave paintings, petroglyphs etc... Just more obnoxious now as the resources to do it are easier to come by.

But yeah, come and see it, enjoy it, but leave it like you found it so someone else can enjoy it.

Comment

Wow MK ... beautiful colors on those hills, and lucky for the lady and the dogs to have found you!
                        [COLOR="#8B4513"]'07 FJ Cruiser / Trail Snail :[/COLOR] http://www.flickr.com/photos/100987726@N04/sets/72157635368968357/

Comment

Originally posted by BigDouggieDoug View Post
                          Wow MK ... beautiful colors on those hills, and lucky for the lady and the dogs to have found you!
                          Hey Doug, haven't seen you in a while.. it was a nice ride through the Calico area. The lady in the stock un-limited was heading down Odessa canyon when she found me...just after the upper waterfall. She was planning to continue down till I suggested "not".

Comment

Great colors in those photos Mike. Your photography is really coming along well. You did a nice job shooting the openings of the cavern from inside. That type of lighting tends to give digital cameras serious problems.
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                              Great colors in those photos Mike. Your photography is really coming along well. You did a nice job shooting the openings of the cavern from inside. That type of lighting tends to give digital cameras serious problems.
                              The lighting and exposure came out OK , just a little grainy, but that's hard to get away from in the dark. Of course Photo Bucket cuts the quality of the photos quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X