Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Looking for: Ratings for the Hammers

I'm looking for ratings, for the hammers. I've done Sledge, Tack, and Claw. These trails are at the level I'm comfortable with. I want to try some others. I just don't want to start something else, and find out, I've bitten off more then I can chew.

Is there a, link to a, "professional" rating, page or something like that? I've only found "personal opinion" ratings. But if I don't know what they're driving, and they're driving skill level, its hard to judge.
    It was like that when I got here.

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
    I'm looking for ratings, for the hammers. I've done Sledge, Tack, and Claw. These trails are at the level I'm comfortable with. I want to try some others. I just don't want to start something else, and find out, I've bitten off more then I can chew.

Is there a, link to a, "professional" rating, page or something like that? I've only found "personal opinion" ratings. But if I don't know what they're driving, and they're driving skill level, its hard to judge.
    Curtis is pretty much setup like you and was comfortable with boulderbash, not so much with sledge, that has gotten tougher.
    Turkey claw is do quite do able on 35's. lower Big Johnson I have done in my little Jeep and was fun.. You would have fun and a good challenge on Sun Bonnet we did that last year with 2 Jeeps on 35's and they had to do a bit of winching, but they had a good time. The ratings change, Sledge right now seems somewhat tougher than Jack Hammer if you skip the gatekeeper thing.
    Outerlimits has gotten tougher. The amount of use by buggies and the weather changes things all the time

Comment

Aftershock is fun .
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

http://www.extremewheelers4christ.org/map1.html
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

And things will all change a bit after KOH this week.
          Rich

Comment

The Hammer trails change every week, so they say walk them before you commit.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, and link.

Art, do you have GPS coordinates for Turkey Claw? I didn't see that one on the map I used.

Alot of your ideas are common sense, ie:walk the trail 1st. I guess my wheel'n habits lack that sometime. Point and shoot is what I usually do. But most places aren't this hard. Thanks again

Comment

If you have done sledge. You probably can do Wrecking ball, Aftershock, I think definitely Chocolate Thunder, Spooners is pretty knarly from what i remember. But like the others said... Its hard to tell because the trails change all the time.... Definitely not back door!.... is that a challenge?! LOL!

Comment

Wrecking Ball worries me. From what I've seen. They call it that cause it eats up body panels more then any other trail. I'm not worried about some contacts. But that one seems excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                    Wrecking Ball worries me. From what I've seen. They call it that cause it eats up body panels more then any other trail. I'm not worried about some contacts. But that one seems excessive.
                    I just don't remember contacting too much on wrecking ball but again.... To each his own... Dents give character : )

Comment

Try upper Big Johnson it is short but real tough, no real body damage spots, but plan to winch.
                      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

We did Claw Hammer and Lower Big Johmson on saturday and they had changed since the last time (A month ago). Rocks get moved and the holes at the bottom of the waterfalls get deeper.

Comment

Any gps coordinates for Turkey Claw?

Comment

After the bridge you'll see the infomation sign on the right, turn left and Turkey Claw starts in a wash at the bottom of the mountain(about 1/2 mile). Best I can do.

http://youtu.be/LdiRJmkd3zY

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              After the bridge you'll see the infomation sign on the right, turn left and Turkey Claw starts in a wash at the bottom of the mountain(about 1/2 mile). Best I can do.

http://youtu.be/LdiRJmkd3zY
                              Based on the info I've got. I think I camped in the wash at the base of Turkey, last year. No wonder there was so much traffic near camp. :bonk:

Comment

Working...
                              X