Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Nightmare Gulch & the El Paso Mountains 1-29-12

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Mike Anderson for leading this run and taking us to so many wonderful places. I'll follow you anywhere Mike!

We met at Abbott Drive & 395 at 9:15am and hit the trail. Weather was sunny all day with minimal wind. No trail mishaps and overall a fantastic day to be with friends in the So Cal desert.

Nightmare Gulch
    http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...anuary%202012/

Last edited by FishPOET; 01-30-12, 04:08 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Nightmare Gulch, in Red Rock Canyon State Park between Mojave and Ridgecrest, is closed or restricted seasonally for “raptor species sustainability”. In other words, it is closed to humans so birds can mate and breed in peace in springtime. Motorized vehicles are only allowed from July to January during the second half of each month (hikers and horse back riders are only allowed during the first half of those months).

Mike (Mike) and Sharon in “Mr. Green”, a green TJ, led our group of seven Jeeps. The others in the group were Mike W. (Deepwater) in a yellow JK, Shant (MrBash) in a gray TJ, Kurt (Rat) and Amber in “Rat Patrol” a dark red TJ, Scott (scott198) in a black TJ Rubicon, myself in a khaki TJ, and rounding out the Magnificent Seven was Doug (FishPOET) in the “Black Pearl”, a black ZJ. The trail closes to motorized traffic from February 1 until July 16, so we believe that we were one of the last groups to experience Nightmare Gulch until next season.

We met at the Ricardo Campground turnoff to Red Rock Canyon State Park, aired down and headed to the trailhead. Mike leading Deepwater, MrBash and Rat to the trailhead:

The weather was great and we enjoyed the scenery as we headed to Nightmare Gulch. Mike, Deepwater, MrBash and Rat passing through the gate to Nightmare Gulch:

Entering Nightmare Gulch:

Mr. Bash in Nightmare Gulch:

Rat took a different line:

Mike, Deepwater and Bash took an “extra credit” line:

There is an easier line than this on the other side of the canyon, but no one chose to take it:

FishPOET and Scott198:

FishPOET:

Rat took another “extra credit” line:

FishPOET:

Exiting Nighmare Gulch:

(continued)
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-30-12, 07:35 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

After leaving Nightmare Gulch, we continued through the El Paso Mountains:

Sharon and Doug enjoying the view:

We stopped at this grove of trees near the ruins of Cudahy Camp in Last Chance Canyon for lunch:

After lunch, we continued up Last Chance Canyon to explore some of the historic sites in the El Paso Mountains:

Mike led us up this “shortcut”:

Rat followed by Scott198:

We stopped to explore the Holly Ash Mine:

The Bonanza Gulch Post Office:

Bickel Camp was closed, so we just viewed the relics from the parking lot:

We explored Burro Schmidt Tunnel:

We checked out the junkyard, but we didn’t find any Jeep parts:

(continued)
      KI6MLU

Comment

It was late in the afternoon when we returned to Last Chance Canyon:

We checked out the V-notch:

Mike tried it first:

Deepwater was next:

Rat:

Kurt always chooses to take the “hard” line:

MrBash:

Since Kurt put the passenger side against the wall, Shant decided to compensate by putting the driver side against the wall:

FishPOET:

It was dark by the time we reached the Red Rock – Garlock Road, aired up and headed home. Ziggy and I had a wonderful time and we are grateful to Mike and Sharon for organizing this run.

Here’s a link to the photos of this run:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...tmare%20Gulch/
        Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-30-12, 11:51 AM.
        KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks Doug!
          It was a really good run with a great group. We had 7 vehicles: Scott198, Deepwater, Russ Chung, Mr. Bash, RAT, FishPOET, and myself.

I also have over 200 pictures as well and some video. Here are some of my favorite shots from the run…

Scenery at the meeting point:

Heading out to the trail:

The trail head:

Cool geology through the canyon:

After Nightmare Gulch, we went to the butte nearby:

And down the side of it!:

The trail led over to Last Chance Cyn:

We took a fun trail that has a short, steep rock face to get to the Holly Mine:

From there, we made a big loop that took us to the Bonanza Gulch Post Office:

Bickel Camp:

Burro Schmidt Tunnel:

And an auto graveyard that we found in Pleasant Valley:

We then dropped back into Last Chance Canyon and played in the V-Notch:

Long Day, but a great trip. The stop for Mexican food in Cal City was a good call too!
          I’ll try to get some video posted soon.
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Russ crushed his tailpipe on Saturday on Holcomb Creek and found it today in Red Rock. How was your gas mileage in between the two Russ?

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

This was a pretty sweet little bonus area! A few of us this saturday turned around and went back up it for some more fun

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

great pics you guys! Looks like you took some interesting side trails that we bypassed the day before... More reason to go back again.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                    Ok it looks like rat is riding shotgun. so ozzie driving again? Great shot!
                    Last edited by curtis; 01-31-12, 01:45 AM.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

looks like a great day

Comment

That was a GREAT day! Different scenery, different terrains, beautiful Jeeps and great people! Thanks Mike. You are a trail guide master.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

BTW, the pictures are awesome.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                            Ok it looks like rat is riding shotgun. so Aussie driving again? Great shot!
                            RAT is riding shotgun, but I don't see anyone driving.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like a great day guys, you went to some places we didn't, envious. But now, I have places to find and explore... never knew about those mines before, schmidt yes, the other no.

Anyone take any gps tracks?

Comment

Working...
                              X