Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Truckhaven / Salton Sea

Here's a few pics from a run I went on this past weekend to the Salton Sea..things got insane when a member of the group went of on his own in an 80mph duststorm and slid off a pass about 200 ft up....three of us led by Tom Severin hooked up in an effort to pull him back up onto the trail and he then proceeded to go off the other side just so we could do it all over again.....didn't get much video as the winds and sand were ripping across the pass and at times thought we were all gonna get blown right off!! and lastly a shot of where my t-case used to be till it blew up on the 60 outside of Riverside

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_1327.mp4

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_1326.mp4

When the wind blows in the desert it does blow doesn't it? Been through that in Glamis and JV not fun at all. Other than that Tru8ckhaven is a cool place for fun wheeling. Don't need a built to the hilt vehicle to have fun there on most of the stuff. The transfer case explodering blows pretty bad too.
    Well maybe time for a fancy Atlas

Comment

What a weekend of wheeling! That is brutal! sorry to see that. I guess it was more than the CV. What kind of case do you need?

Thanks for that bit of video, that was a surreal moment!

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
        What a weekend of wheeling! That is brutal! sorry to see that. I guess it was more than the CV. What kind of case do you need?

Thanks for that bit of video, that was a surreal moment!
        The CV centering ball will weld up inside the joint and that is when that happens. Doing a lot off water wading doesn't seem to help it a whole lot a friend of mine in Florida exploded his transfercase just like that and the front driveshaft CV welded itself solid which caused all the damage.

Comment

Hey Art! You going to try that tube tower they built? I put Ope up on it a bit, but there was no way I was going up that thing!

Comment

Wow, so a bad CV can do that much damage. Lesson learned.

Comment

Hey Art! You going to try that tube tower they built? I put Ope up on it a bit, but there was no way I was going up that thing!
              That takes a V8 and the nuts need to swell a little more

Comment

Yeah I knew the cv was ready for a rebuild when I gave it a shake sunday morning but havent even wheeled it very hard lately and it hasn't seen much water at all, however I'm the the highway is what really did it! Came on fast...glad I called it when i did. Another guy on the Rubicon owners forum said when it happened to him it took out his locker pumps both driveshafts, put holes in the tub and skid plate and so on....
                Gonna gegt under it today and start droppin parts...god I hope it isnt like that but wouldn't surprise me...i think i've lost a chunk of wiring harness and a hose was also cut not sure if its fuel line or locker...looks like its time for some upgrading
                Was great meeting you guys and hey jonah I might be callin for a bit of welding/build advice!! Great Willy's you built!

Comment

Have fun wrenching! Hopefully the damage is minimal

Was great meeting you guys and hey jonah I might be callin for a bit of welding/build advice!! Great Willy's you built!
                  Thanks! There are a lot of guys on here that have more skills than I, but I would be happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to drop me a line.

That takes a V8 and the nuts need to swell a little more
                  LOL!

Comment

That is rough Todd... it was a great wheeling trip through... we started w 7 rigs on Saturday and finished w 3 on Sunday... I am just glad the Swedes found my tent before it blew away much further... it would have been a rough night out there with out a tent, even with Jonah trying to spoon with me!

I got up at 2:30 am on Sat... was in Huntington Beach by 4:00 am @ Jonah's shop... it was rainy n yucky out!

Jonah, Ben and Todd on way to the phone booth...

handsome wheeler #1

handsomer wheeler #2

sunrise on Sunday after the sandstorm of death...

rigs... some happy.... some sad.... from left to right: Todd.. about to blow up his TC on way home, Ben, blew up front axle trying to save Skip, Tom cracked import Janpanese front axle with only 220,000 lightly used miles on it, Ope vomiting fuel, Ope's tow right got sandblasted including chips in windows n dings in otherwise perfect paint...

All in all a great weekend... Thanks again Tom for putting the run together and Jonah for letting me spoon I mean ride with you!
                    Last edited by vwtipeii; 01-24-12, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Hey, I thought that was our secret...I don't want to get a reputation!

Comment

your rep is fine.. it is Tom that I am worried about.. he kept offering everyone his burrito... with 2nds n 3rds even!!! Oh well.. what happens in Truck Haven...Stays in Truck Haven...

Comment

it's gonna be a while before I forget the "Blackzilla" story!! <shudder>

Comment

The phone boot is back, way cool it disappeared for awhile.

Comment

When I met you guys I knew something was off, now I know for sure. :-)
                              Hey, I thought that was our secret...I don't want to get a reputation!

Comment

Working...
                              X