Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rowher Trail 1-8-2012

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!!

The last time I ran the Rowher Trail was exactly 14 months ago; on the weekend that the trail had reopened following the Buckweed Fire. At the time, the Forest Service bulldozed the trail before reopening it, so the most challenging obstacles were gone. As I drove up Bouquet Canyon Road this morning to meet Jake (TJ Jake) and Brittany (Notstuckyet), I expected an easy run. Jake and Brittany were already at the trailhead when I arrived. As I aired down, Jake warned me that the trail had become more difficult in the year since it reopened. We headed up the trail and I immediately noticed that the original “gatekeeper” had reappeared, although it was not quite as severe an obstacle as it was before the fire. Jake and Brittany swapped rides, so Jake drove Brittany’s green TJ, and Brittany drove Jake’s white LJ:

Ruts had formed at the site of the gatekeeper:

We stopped briefly at the summit to enjoy the view, but the wind was blowing pretty hard, so we continued down the Rowher Flat side of the hill:

We played around the hillclimb area for awhile:

Click for the video:

We ate lunch at Staging Area #2, then returned to Bouquet Canyon via the Lookout Trail. In this picture, Brittany waits for Jake to clear the second long hill on the Lookout Trail:

Returning to Bouquet Canyon Road:

I had expected an easy somewhat boring run, but I was rewarded with an interesting, challenging run. Both trails (Rowher and Lookout) are rated black diamond, but they can be run in a stock Jeep.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Thanks for sharing, this place has a nice view of the lake down there.

Comment

Nice report Russ! Looks like Rowher is getting some of it's fun back.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Wife now does her nails on Rowher....

To add some interest we did at night once. WOW, do things change at night. Nice run for us locals. See ya guys didn't head down to the "rock garden".

Comment

I had completely forgotten that there is a new rock garden/training area at Rowher Flats; otherwise, I would have checked it out!
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

More like a boulder field. I got 35's, lockers with 4 inch suspension and still won't go through that thing. To me it is for rock buggies. They did a poor job of laying it out, especially compared to Gorman's sluce run.

Comment

Has anyone been up there more recently. This is close to home and I am wanting to go try it out.

Comment

I went a few months back. There's some nice steep hill climbs, but the rock garden play area is still pretty much impossible for a modified jeep, I tried several approaches all around it, and as soon as I get my back tires on the rocks, I pretty much can't get farther than that. Fun to try though, but it's really not layed out very well.

Agree with DaK, that rock pile is for buggies I guess, either that or they just never got around to making it usable for modified jeeps. I didn't see any rubber on the rocks, and not many scrape marks, so I'm guessing not many people have made it through.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
                X