Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Rookie run on Cleghorn 12.22.2011 Report

I took my two oldest sons Scott and Clarke on Thursday to test out my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited on the Cleghorn Trail. We planned to stay on the main fire road and just enjoy a bit of light 4-wheeling. We had to move a tree off the trail at one point, followed by a bit of welcome snow. My boys and I took turns driving, making sure they really enjoyed the trip. Once we passed the summit, we began to get adventurous, taking some of the side roads over and around small hills. Great fun, until we found ourselves on a steep, narrow decent, and having cleared a few large rocks we could only go forward. We decided to have Scott drive, while I spotted his moves from outside. This was the most fun and excitement we've had in quite a while. So we did these steep decending roads all the way down. This is probably not the kind of thing to do alone, and being mid-week we were the only ones on the trail except for two quads and a motorcycle that were rarely seen. We look forward to joining up with a group to explore some other great trails! -Jim

Sounds like you got Lucky! Things can go from OK to Really bad in a blink of an eye. I've seen it. Watched a friend completely stop on a trail one minute, and in the next minute, he was rolling off the mountain, totally his Jeep. Things happen. There's always tons of runs going on here..hope to see you on one soon! Lorie
    Jeep Girl

Comment

Hey Jim, glad to see you on here. Glad you had a good time and got home safely. Next time post up first and you never know who will be able to make it out. Even I can go out during the week sometimes. Look forward to seeing you out on the trails!

Don't forget to post up your pics!

Comment

NEVER go out by yourownself, it's NOT a good idea!
        This was the first thing I learned 40 years ago when I got into "off-road"
        Respectfully,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Yeah, why we just got a SPOT. At least then you can get help when need and no cell phone service.

But on the upswing, maybe ya hooked two more off roaders.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. In my prior life I was a bit more reckless! If we ever have intentions of going off road, we'll plan it properly maximize our chances for success and fun. Now I'm waiting for a new forward drive shaft. The dealer says it's back ordered and may take a month of more for newly manufactured ones to be available. I'd like to shake their cages on this one however. Why are there no forward drive shafts available for my 06 Rubicon?

Comment

Originally posted by JimH View Post
              Thank you all for your responses. In my prior life I was a bit more reckless! If we ever have intentions of going off road, we'll plan it properly maximize our chances for success and fun. Now I'm waiting for a new forward drive shaft. The dealer says it's back ordered and may take a month of more for newly manufactured ones to be available. I'd like to shake their cages on this one however. Why are there no forward drive shafts available for my 06 Rubicon?
              Hi Jim! Welcome to MJR!
              Although I agree with my friends that is is better to travel with others, I don't agree that you need to go out with a group every time. If you know what you are getting into and you are adequately prepared, run what you are comfortable with.

Why do you want to replace the front drive shaft? Is it damaged? They are repairable and I can recommend some low cost options. Post up or PM me. I think that you can save some $$$$!!
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

BTW, my friend RAT says, "Stay away from Chrysler for parts! Ask your friends at MJR first!"
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Mike, I purchased an exended warranty with the Jeep in Sept. Must squeeze all I can out of it! I'll get the specs on the part by Tuesday. What happened was I noticed a new vibration that developed shortly after reaching asphalt around Lake Silverwood. It gets louded at higher speeds. The dealer said it was the one of the front axles, then said it was the drive shaft starting to come apart. They said it is ok to drive until replaced but not to engage 4-wheel drive.

Comment

JimH......Have a driveline shop look at it.
                    Sounds like your dealer is just giv'n a SWAG to me.
                    Jeeping is like swimming......ALWAYS, take a "buddy"(second rig)with you!
                    Respectfully,
                    LG
                    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
                    X