Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: San Savaine Road

So, from my house, I can see the (now closed) Big Cucamonga Tree trail. The San Savaine road still goes to the Joe Elliot campground, but there the rest of the road is barricaded. The USFS says that the road is washed out at Day Creek Canyon to the point that there isn't even a ledge left.

Here's one view of the trail from my house (the red arrows mark a closed portion of the trail, and the yellow arrow marks Day Creek Canyon):

The gate for San Savaine is only open from the day after Labor Day to the beginning of March. I've been wanting to hike from the barricade out to the wash out, but my days free never seemed to match up with the weather to make it a good outing.

Today was a gorgeous day, so Sharon and I headed up to hike the trail:

The main feature that we could see as we started the climb was the parking lot called I-15 with all the folks trying to get up the Cajon Pass. It was bad all day:

The trail starts with switchbacks almost immediately:

We stopped to look for the old indian morteros. I had to dig the deepest one out and pull overgrowth away from it:

The wide one was easy to find:

The gate to the tower was open so we headed up to check it out. 4x4 was required because the trail had a fair amount of snow, but we made it to the top with no trouble:

Great views from the top:

The snow was fairly thick on the north facing slopes:

We finally got to a point to where we could see the area where our house is:

I zoomed in and snapped a pic and got lucky! My house is under the arrow:

Not far from the campground, the road switches to a north slope shelf road. Significant snow started showing up on the road:

About 100 yards and the tracks stopped. The snow was probably 1.5 feet deep:

It was almost to Sharon's knee:

I was pretty sure that we could push through it to the campground, but the road drops downhill into a lower area just before the end of the trail. I was concerned that we wouldn't be able to get back up the hill if we tried it. So, I backed up the 100 yards to the first turn around.

Two more Jeeps rolled up and one gave it a shot, but backed out as well. We stood around and chatted for a while and enjoyed the fantastic views:

It was a great day, but I still want to hike to the wash out. Maybe next Monday if the weather stays warm....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    ...but I still want to hike to the wash out. Maybe next Monday if the weather stays warm....
    I want to do that hike as well. Next Monday is not good for me If you go be sure to take a lot of pictures.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
      I want to do that hike as well. Next Monday is not good for me If you go be sure to take a lot of pictures.
      I almost called you today, but it was such short notice. Sorry bro.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like a fun adventure. You can actually sleep in for this one.
        Check out .

Comment

I enjoy hiking too... feel free to hit me up next time you head out. My mech "roofied" himself on xmas so no further work was done on my YJ yesterday so I am still having to hike if I wanted to head out doors regardless!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
            Looks like a fun adventure. You can actually sleep in for this one. Unless you are Roger, he can sleep in and still run hundreds of trails.
            Fixed it for you Chuck!

Mike, I really enjoyed the run up there with you a few years ago. The wash out you referrred to, is that past the spot we stopped where the road was closed?
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Fixed it for you Chuck!

Mike, I really enjoyed the run up there with you a few years ago. The wash out you referrred to, is that past the spot we stopped where the road was closed?
              Yes. We were trying to get to the blocked off spot so that we could hike from there. I am guessing that it is about a mile down the trail before you get to the wash out. You want to go with us when we try it again?

[/COLOR]

Comment

I began my jeeping addiction on this trail. I used to (and forgive me for not remembering names) take lemon over to Sapphire then up to the spot where the road ends( it'sn now rich homes) and then take the high road all the way to Sierra Ave or take the low road past the waterfall( now a bridge) and either hike over to the 3 waterfalls and play in that or continue onward and play on the trails. The high road was the funnest for me because after about 1/4 of a mile in there was a crazy uphill climb that a lot of wanna bee 4x4's got stuck going up so they tore huge holes into the ground making it super fun to get up.. Fun until I got totally sideways 1/2 way up the hill and nearly rolled my jeep. Would of went at least 10 rolls. Long story short, I gunned it and I did a small wheelie andcame up perfectly straight and went to the bottom, got out and threw up!!!! Last time I did that hill climb...
                Damn good memories on that trail!!!!! Hows Rancho Mike, I'm in Lakeside now, near Bronco Peak..
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Hi Kevin! Rancho is still treating me right. I heard that you moved to San Diego. We'll have to hook up for a run at Bronco Peak sometime.
                  Too bad the high road isn't open any more. I really wish that I could drive it. It's one of the reasons that I am going to hike to the wash out on Monday. Just to see it for myself.

[/COLOR]

Comment

This is the most snow I've ever had up on Sapphire. About 10 yrs ago..

Comment

LOL I did that trail with my wife crv in 2001. Been itching to do it with my jeep but its been closed since I got it. I thought the trail was closed because of the fires that happen over 5 years ago. I this trail would reopen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                        LOL I did that trail with my wife crv in 2001..
                        What're you trying to say?

Comment

Not trying to say anything just stating a fact lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Hi Kevin! Rancho is still treating me right. I heard that you moved to San Diego. We'll have to hook up for a run at Bronco Peak sometime.
                            Too bad the high road isn't open any more. I really wish that I could drive it. It's one of the reasons that I am going to hike to the wash out on Monday. Just to see it for myself.
                            Just get MJR to adopt the trail and let Ryan and Nick loose lol

Comment

Mike, put me on your list! Are you planning on hiking to the wash out or going beyond it?
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X