Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Jv 12/26/11

Met Fred, Mark, Cliff and his friend Phil at the bridge this morning. We ran Claw Hammer, Aftershock and Turkey Claw. What a great day, Perfect weather.

Last edited by curtis; 12-27-11, 07:09 AM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Looks like Y'all had a blast Curtis, bummer I could not make it. Nice pics, redo for New Years ? I have two days available for wheelin.

Comment

Looks like fun Curtis. A big contrast to the rain, and mud here in Georgia.

Comment

Yea Mitch you couldn't ask for better weather. So are you just back there for the holidays or full time Mitch? Art I might come out one day and watch. But I think I'm at my limit on the toughtness of the trails.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Outerlimits isn't exactly the easiest trail, but a lot of fun isn't it?
          Sledgehammer or Jackhammer and tack hammer would have been a better choice for you, as well as sunbonnet and aftershock. So overall did you have a fun day in the trail or did Outerlimits feel like you were in over your head? I wouldn't take my Yellow baby on it, that is a for sure thing

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            Yea Mitch you couldn't ask for better weather. So are you just back there for the holidays or full time Mitch? Art I might come out one day and watch. But I think I'm at my limit on the toughtness of the trails.
            Dont say that Curtis lets do the easier trails before giving up. Following freds lines on 42" tires is a task in itself. I Just need to get that new skid on and Im ready but stuff keeps coming up and I cant even start it.

Comment

Git er done Beau, it time for some real fun, Big Bear and /cougar Buttes is just a fun day drive after that. Not that I don't enjoy them they are now just fun relaxing trails. You only followed Freddy on 37's and with his big pumkins that is about the same ground clearance as you have, it just rides and flexes nicer.

Comment

Had a great time and the weather was the best for wheeling. We did run Aftershock not Outerlimits. Curtis did real good on his 35's only one time he got stuck. When he gets his axles in and 40's watch out. Going back out Sat. last run of the year.
                You can make it

Comment

The only place I had a problem was where the KOH buggy burned. But if I had waited for a spotter I don't think I would of got high center. I think my next mod is a auto trans. And yes it is a lot of fun, and maybe to much fun money wise LOL

See I didn't even know where I was.

Comment

Looks like yall had a great day! Curtis... why ya thinking about going auto? Is the 4.1 not low/slow enough? Just throw the Goliath Kluve V with a 2.7 low range between your manual tranny and TC. This will give you 1to1, 2.7to1, 4.0to1 or 10.8to1. If you were really crazy you could throw the David Klune V model in and have a 16to1 with both your TC and Klune in low range. The Klune runs about 1800 plus you have to mess with your drive shafts. I am not sure how much hassel it would be to swap in an automatic but the Klune might be another solution for ya.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...e_brochure.htm

Comment

Brett it's a lot easier to wheel the big rocks with a auto trans. I can do a AW4 swap for about 500.00 to 800.00.
                      Last edited by curtis; 12-27-11, 06:32 PM.

Comment

You got stuck here Curtis?

Fred heading out for Saturday and Sunday?

Comment

Hell I don't know you would have to ask Fred. I was just following him.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                            Looks like yall had a great day! Curtis... why ya thinking about going auto? Is the 4.1 not low/slow enough? Just throw the Goliath Kluve V with a 2.7 low range between your manual tranny and TC. This will give you 1to1, 2.7to1, 4.0to1 or 10.8to1. If you were really crazy you could throw the David Klune V model in and have a 16to1 with both your TC and Klune in low range. The Klune runs about 1800 plus you have to mess with your drive shafts. I am not sure how much hassel it would be to swap in an automatic but the Klune might be another solution for ya.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...e_brochure.htm
                            The reason for the automatic is simple at a big ledge you can get the rear wheels up to it, then play with the gas and brakes to make the rear wheels barely turn and manipulate the throttle and brakes so the tires grab and slowly walk up the ledge, with a manual transmission regardless of low gearing it's darn near impossible to do that. On top of that when geared way deep it becomes very hard to get the wheel speed to bump up a ledge. Klune is a nice trans, but it gets a lot harder to find the right gearing to keep up with a group. Wheeled with a guy once that had a klune in his truggy and he kept holding everybody up all day long. The thing crawled beautifully slow, but unnecessarily slower than everybody else. In time I am sure you can find the gearing you need to keep up with everybody though. For true crawling you cannot beat an auto tranny, they work absolutely awesome.

Comment

not doubting/arguing that... but a stick is just more fun in my opinion. I recently read an article in JP or 4wheeler or one of those mags where the editor's goal was to build the "ultimate wheeler" and he kept building his rig up into a crazy trailer queen that could crawl over the Empire State Building. Then he got bored and started wheeling his old Scrambler and enjoyed moving rocks, using a which, highlift and straps to have a true wheeling experience.

i agree wheeling an auto is much easier...anything has to be easier that wheeling my YJ right now w stock low range of 2.71 and AX15 manual over rocks at crazy angles.... but I look forward to having 4 shifters on my floor just because I think it will look cool... and I have no problem with wheeling slow over an obstacle then shifting from 10x1 low back into 2.71 low until the next major obstacle.

The great thing about our hobby is we can all build whatever the heck we want as long as our ladies allow us to spend the money!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X