Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Calico Dec 9-11, 2011

Lorie (I H8RDS), Bernie (WeRubiBlue06) and his wife Vanessa, Lorenzo (4XSMURF), and Jess (DzrtRat) arrived Friday. Lorie's friend (JP) and I arrived on Saturday morning. We waited awhile for the others who had RSVP'd to show up, but when no one else showed up by about 9:45, JP led us up Doran Canyon. We are lined up at the trailhead, left to right, JP's CJ-7, Lorie's (I H8RDS) white TJ, Bernie's (WeRubiBlue06) blue TJ, my khaki TJ, Lorenzo's (4XSMURF) blue JK, and Jess' (DzrtRat) yellow TJ:

The weather was clear, dry, cool and partly cloudy:

Lorie's (I H8RDS) white TJ followed by Bernie's (WeRubiBlue06) blue TJ:

Lorenzo's (4XSMURF) blue JK followed by Jess' (DzrtRat) yellow TJ:

JP's CJ-7:

The waterfall on Doran was easier than the last time I ran it. A lot of rocks have been stacked on it.

We stopped at the top to enjoy the view and explore the mines:

I was disappointed that the Bismarck Mine has so much graffiti and trash around it:

The desert termites near the Bismarck Mine really chewed up this old Buick:

We returned to camp via Phillips Loop and the Mule Canyon cutoff:

(continued)
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-12-11, 07:32 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

On Saturday night, Lorie and I decided to do an "easy" night run to look at the city lights. We had plenty of moon light, but I missed a turn on the Mule Canyon Cutoff, so we wandered around the hills for awhile before we got to Phillips Loop and found our way to the ridgeline where we could view the lights of Daggett and Yermo:

After viewing the lights of town, Lorie decided to take Odessa Canyon back to camp. The run took longer than expected because I had a flat tire. I was too busy changing the tire to take any pictures.

On Sunday morning, Lorenzo (4XSMURF) and Jess (DzrtRat) broke camp and headed home. JP and Lorie decided to run Odessa Canyon while Bernie and I went up Phillips Loop and met them at the head of the canyon. We took some pictures of JP and Lorie from the ridge above Odessa Canyon:

Here are some telephoto shots of their Jeeps in Odessa Canyon:

After meeting up at the head of Odessa Canyon, we explored the mines on the hill between Odessa Canyon and Doran Canyon, then explored the trails to the northwest of Bismarck Mine. We took the trail toward Wall St. Canyon as far as the washout, then took the detour around the washout:

We stopped at the remains of the Stone Cabin for lunch:

After lunch, we continued to the Wall St. Canyon Overlook:

We finished our "Sunday drive" by exploring the Silver Bow Mine:

After exploring the mine, we proceeded to Fort Irwin Road, aired up, returned to camp, packed up and headed home.
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-12-11, 08:00 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Looks like a great weekend! I wish that I could have made it. Great pics! The clouds add some great effects to the photos.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Looks great! I wish I was able to join as well. Hope to be able to join on the next run in late Dec or Jan!!!

B

Comment

Nice job on the commentary and pics Russ!
          Jeep Girl

Comment

[COLOR="#a0522d"]Love Calico! Wish I could have made this run! Looks like maybe its time for another Calico Clean-Up event. Does that event still happen? [/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR="#a0522d"]Love Calico! Wish I could have made this run! Looks like maybe its time for another Calico Clean-Up event. Does that event still happen? [/COLOR]
              I'd be game for making it happen. It's a bit upsetting to see how stupid people can get marking up the canyons and mines.
              Jeep Girl

Comment

Awesome trip report, Russ. Thank you for the great pictures.

I'd be down for joining a Bismarck Mines clean-up event...

Comment

[COLOR="#a0522d"]some context: I was referring to an annual event that a group organized every year. In the Spring if I recall correctly. Lots of sponsorship, a raffle, competition...etc. Was a pretty good shin-dig. But as I recall, some group got upset about it (environmentalists I think). They complained about permits and insurance, etc. I haven't heard about it being held for a couple years I think.

A lot of us really like Calico, its a shame to see it abused. It can be closed just like other areas, if someone starts clanging that "abuse of the environment" bell. MJR is pretty good about leaving places better than we found them.

Still, wish I could have gone!
                  [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

That looks like a nice area!! I'd love to go sometime
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Thanks for the pics. We will be making the next one. All I have done down there is the Doran loop. These other places seem awesome was well.

Man we have to get a camper, just have too.

Comment

Nice report and pictures Russ.

As far as the annual clean-up, that has always a fun day. I've done that 2 or 3 years at Calico. Too bad about that pile of trash. Just 2 weeks ago when we were out we commented on how clean the area was as a whole. Compared to privious times it's actually doing much better.

Comment

Some more pics!!

Me

Me and Bernie heading up Doran

WAY too many rocks on Doran. We should have UNstacked them.

Wall Canyon

Me and my buddy Lorenzo and Cujo!

Lorenzo and jess comin' up Doran

Me and Jess

The girls are goin' cruisin'

Home sweet home

Bernie & Vanessa

Last edited by I H8RDS; 12-14-11, 01:53 PM.
                          Jeep Girl

Comment

Thanks everyone for a great weekend of wheelin. Pics turned out great. Look forward to going out on another run with you all real soon, it was great meeting all of you. Jess
                            I did it just the way you told me too!!!

Comment

Here's my contribution of pics from this last weekend in Calico. And, although the pics are great, they don't do the area or the great time we had justice.

Nothing but good times...

Liking this CJ

Sunday lunch with our Jeeping friends.

Riding in style.

Oops someone is having too much honey!

Looking forward to our next Calico run. However, our next run may be much louder if Lorenzo and I can help it!!
                              Last edited by WeRubiBlue06; 12-14-11, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X