Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Corral Canyon

I havent gone to Corral Canyon since I did a Bronco Peak run several yrs ago and now that I live in San Diego and only about 30 miles from it I decided to go out and poke around.
    It was chilly. I left with my top off and just a jacket. Mistake #1. After stopping a few miles before my exit I got a hot cup of coffee, some TP for my ear ache and a beanie. Onward!
    After getting to Corral canyon I decided to play it safe and took the trail marked #11. It's rated moderate so it shouldnt be an issue, and it wasnt. It was pretty fun for what it was worth but I'm built for harder stuff. Being by myself I (with a lot of self control) kept myself from getting to deep because nights out here (if i broke down) get into the low 30's this time of yr..
    After having my fun I ventured over to the start of bronco peak to get my a taste and backed out at the top of the 1st hill rethinking my self control and cold factor.
    SOOO I left after about 3 hrs..
    After I returned to the long paved road out I saw a nice little mud hole about 30 ft long and about 15 ft wide.. Cool. I'll wash my jeep down a lil. I start into it and I see that there's a sheet of ice over it about 2 inches thick. Cool. I go a lil farther and my jeep stalls from the resistance of the ice. Ok. 4 low. As I putt through it it gets deep fast.. Ok.. Its not muddy.. Just a water hole... 2/3 of the way through I guess others had gotten stuck and I dropped into their attempts at getting out. I dropped into their spin holes.. Now I'm freaking stuck... OK.. Turn on the ARB. turn the wheels and mash it, reverse, fwd, turn the wheels...... IM STUCK FOR REAL!!!!
    SIGH... I look at the water.. I'm like the Titantic.. Icebergs everywhere. lol. I take off my pants and socks/shoes make a frown, climb onto my hood, plug in the winch remote,throw my phone to the bushs (gotta have a pic), unhook the line and JUMP IN... OMG!!!!! My balls went into my pelvis, and my toes went straight up in the air THIS IS COLD.. Luckily there was a tree near and I got myself free. Not before some woman drove by and stopped to look at me while in my boxer briefs with my balls tucked far away.
    I always seem to get stuck at the most stupid spots..
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Wow Kevin! That little putt putt took a bad turn. Glad you made it out ok. Ice cold water can have a bad effect on the body. Pictures didnt post though.

I hope you yelled at the lady in "George Castanza" fashion, "haven't you about shrinkage". Too funny

Comment

I can't see the photos either. Winches are wonderful!!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

[IMG]
          Last edited by brokenujoint; 12-08-11, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I WAS IN THE POOL!!! LOL!!!

Glad you made it out. Can't see the pics, and would like to see them.....the jeep...nothing else....just the jeep!

HOOYAH!!!
            Dan

Comment

you must have reposted seconds before I did. Got em now. yea, you were STUCK!!! YIKES!

Comment

Sounds like a very interesting day. Hope everything has warmed back up and dropped into place.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

OK, I'm going to say it.........
                  GOING OUT BUYYOUROWNSELF is less than smart!
                  This is coming from someone who has been Jeeping for over 40+ years.
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

We don't get much mud puddles to play in out here in the desert!
                    Last edited by Roger; 12-09-11, 08:46 AM.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

guys, I didnt go out intending to hit a black diamond trail or a 4+.. I was out seeing sights and taking fire roads pretty much. I did stop at the ranger station and ask about fire warnings and that I'll be playing around 4 corners. I'm not 18, im 39. I've been a jeep owner and offroader for 21 yrs now. And yes Mr Lumpy is right, it's not wise to venture alone. I had my tools, my winch, my water, my full tummy, a spare, a cell, a cb, and only a few miles from the station.... Luckily however, the huge oak tree had my back and was with in winch line for my "a couple of inches deep" water trek.

Comment

Kevin, sounds like you are well equiped. Some of my dozens of solo trips were my best ever trips. I always left word about where I was going, and was always prepared for an overnighter if needed :0

Peaceful and relaxing

Comment

It was very relaxing actually. Ive been in San Diego for a yr now and havent taken the jeep out even once. It was nice to stretch her legs a lil and breath some clean air at 4,000 ft.

Comment

Man that would suck a little and looks a little cold too… I don’t have much in the way of friends with Jeeps that go out as much as I do. Out of the 4, one is in the middle of a build, one is broken, and one has bald tires and can’t afford to put the 35’s on it and the other works 3 weekends a month. So needless to say I usually roll alone. When I do hit the little stuff and so far have been lucky. Finally got my winch installed so feeling even better. Good luck on the next run.
                            [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey man I know that area very well. I am in SD too and have been dying to get back up there. Last time up I got a little throttle happy and broke a rear D44 ring and pinion...

Any interest in heading back up maybe next weekend? Saturday morning?
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X