Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Mojave Ghost Towns & Mines PT 1

[COLOR="blue"]We did a tour through the Mojave desert in search of a few more early 1900's mines. A couple of the stops took us through old towns that are now either partially abandoned of in the process of being restored.

Since the resort town of Ludlow was the last gas stop before MNP we did a little picture tour of the town. Ludlow was originally the result of the Bagdad-Chase mine a few miles to the south. (1906). Later it was a stop for the Route 66 highway, now only 2 gas stations and a cafe are left and is usually by-passed.

From there our destination was the Rex mine, which turned out to be quite a operation. By the looks of the structures it looks like it was mined in the early 1900's. There is still a lot there to explore. A nice mine tunnel is still accessable.

Since we has to go through the desert haven of Kelso we thought we'd stop and take a look around. The train depot has been restored (nicely) and is the park headquarters and visitor center for the Mojave National Preserve. They have a small cafe inside - no gas.

From there it was off to the Death Valley Mine. On the way we stopped to explore an old cattle transfer area with lots of corrals and an old ranch house. Pretty cool for being in the middle of nowhere and situated in the middle of a Joshua tree forest.

The Death Valley mine was in opperation till recently, having some fairly new equipment still on site. I believe it is now under restoration by the MNP. This is one of the most intact sites around. The older buildings look as to be dated around the early 1900's and in opperation up till maybe 20 or 30 yrs. ago.

After a quick blink we realized we had just passed the town of Cima (sorry no pictures) and we headed for the Kelso sand dunes. It was suggested that we climb to the top of the highest dune, which we did.....well I came to with in a hundred yards from the top.

A great day with some worthwhile areas to explore
    [/COLOR]

LUDLOW
    This building dates 1906

REX MINE

Last edited by mkjeepers; 11-26-11, 07:44 PM.

man I want to see more of that mine shaft!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

You'll have to wait till PhotoBucket wakes up LOL

Comment

Awesome stuff! I love ghost towns.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice posting Mike! I always enjoy your trips!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Looks like good times.
            [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike, what happened to all your photos????
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I think we all would like to share in the picture trip.
                I have been to the Orangeblossom, and the mining by the Lava Tube, but do not know about the Death Valley. May have been by there on my last trip through the Mojave Road trip.

Comment

Everything got deleted off of photobucket - sorry

Comment

Working...
                  X