Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11/16/2011 Beautiful day in the desert for a trail run!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 11/16/2011 Beautiful day in the desert for a trail run!

Mitch & I went out to the area where the Landers Earthquake (1992) scarred the desert. Mitch did some research as to the exact location where the ground ruptured in a verticle shift of up to 10' in height. I saw it back in 1992 but I couldn't remember where it was located. We found it. It is still plainly visible, however the last 20 years has eroded the escarpment. I'll bet it won't be visible in another 20 years.

It's located west-southwest of Galway Lake. We also check out a few mines north of Galway Lake. We also discoverd a new mining operation. They are not mining yet but there are several boring that are about 4" in diameter and probably 100' deep.

The weather was perfect, high 60's with no wind and bright sunshine.

When we got back to the house, LeAnne had a pork roast waiting for us!

Thanks Mitch, it was a great day.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Thanks Roger for another great mid-week run. Great day in the fresh air and sunshine. After exploring the earthquake escarpment and a couple of new but very short mines we ended up at Soggy Dry Lake on the way home. This gave me a chance to try some new tricks with the camera, which did turn out rather awesome. Lots of walking around today so that great dinner that LeAnne made really hit the spot!

Landers earthquake escarpment (34 32 19.55n 116 33 12.23w)

Cool little mine area 2 miles north of Galway Dry Lake (34 34 22.36n 116 33 12.25w)

Beautiful views and blues skies

Soggy Dry Lake

This is what I had to work with

And by laying down and setting the camera on the dry lake bed itself, this is what I got! Keep in mind, the rocks are only a 1/2" in size

Cool shot straight into the sun

Last edited by Mitch; 11-17-11, 12:05 AM.

Comment

looks like a nice day out! Man I wish I lived closer to some wheeling areas :-(
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Cool pics...

Gov't will be calling you and ordering you to take them down as people will be again, questioning the lunar landings.

Comment

Now I know how an ant feels looking at a little 1/2" rock lol

Neat pics Mitch!
          Jeep Girl

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
            Cool pics...

Gov't will be calling you and ordering you to take them down as people will be again, questioning the lunar landings.
            Glad I wasn't drinking any coffee when I read that.

Mitch, great pictures. I especially like #9. The first lunar shot.

Comment

What a nice day. I like the mouse eye views, we are so used to seeing the world from 5' up. Put some red in it and you could sell the first belly picture as a Mars shot! Thanks for the coordinates for the escarpment, I'm going to have to see them before they are gone. I find it fascinating that the solid ol earth can move so much in an instance and then the evidence just fades away.

Roger and Mitch, keep posting your adventures so all us desk bound souls can live vicariously through you guys.

Mike
              "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Thanks for the picture comments. The desert exploring has been so awesome. I wish I started about 30 years ago.

Just for you Mike. Nice and red just like Mars

Comment

Great shots and looks like yet another fun trip you guys had… Thanks for the coordinates looks like it is about 2 and a half hours from my door to dirt. Should be a fun trip to plan in the next few weeks. Keep posting. I gotta get out that way more often.
                  [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Danny,

If you need a guide, give me a call one day. If you set up the right route, you could see a dozen mines in a day. The mine in the picture makes mine #103 that I've been inside so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                      Danny,

If you need a guide, give me a call one day. If you set up the right route, you could see a dozen mines in a day. The mine in the picture makes mine #103 that I've been inside so far.
                      Oh holy heck that is crazy 103 mines. Think I have been in like 4 or 5. For sure maybe sometime after the holidays. My wife scares me when I drive so it would be just me and my Son. I have had to stop on one too many inclines because she has freaked out. However with that said she does enjoy the whole mine sightseeing and outdoor exploring so on second thought maybe she would be going. I am sure most of these roads are pretty forgiving.
                      But either way I would love for someone to journey with and show us around.

Thanks so much for the offer.
                      [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X