Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Calico Turkey Run

[LEFT]A few of us are heading to Calico for Thanksgiving weekend. We will be there Friday-Sunday. If you would like to join us post up. This will be a mild to wild weekend. We will be exploring the back side of Calico from Tin Can Alley to Wallstreet with some time at the Gatekeeper.

Bring your left overs and join us.[/LEFT]

Last edited by dirtman13; 11-15-11, 07:46 AM. Reason: Add Sign Up
    Check out .

Excellent. I will be spending the week in Afton Canyon area. Maybe I can join up with you for some more fun.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Friday I will be at Cougar Buttes, might come down Saturday to watch the spectacle, I know you have a date with that darn gatekeeper

Comment

are these trails difficult? i've never been to calico. i'm only running 33" tall tires and 4.5" lift. locker in the rear and limited slip in the front. i want to be able to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by newfoundday View Post
          are these trails difficult? i've never been to calico. i'm only running 33" tall tires and 4.5" lift. locker in the rear and limited slip in the front. i want to be able to keep up.
          That set up will get you through most of the area. Doran and Odessa are the toughest things in the area (with the exception of the infamous Gatekeeper) and that set up should get you through all of it with a little luck.

Additionally, we are talking about doing some mild to moderate runs to explore the area. There's some cool stuff in them thar' hills.
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by newfoundday View Post
            I was out there for the Annual MJR Calico run in my Toyota last spring. I am running 33's and a rear locker and made it through the trails they are talking about. I know some of the guys I wheel with from my Yota group with the same build have even made it up Doran and Odessa(pretty sure they skipped the gatekeeper). So far everyone I have wheeled with here on MJR have been very helpfull and willing to Spot and assist when and where needed.

Comment

I'm in. I'll be there Friday morning. Where are we camping? Where MJR camped for last year's IDTT?
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Great Roger. That is where we are thinking of camping since there will be a few motorhomes and the access is easier. I still haven't decided if I'm going out Thursday night or Friday morning. Make sure you bring the quad for Leanne. There will be others on quads.

As Mike mentioned this is not going to be all hardcore all weekend. We will be running the trails up behind Calico exploring the history. These are easy trails. We will however be running Doran and Odessa at some point. And as Art pointed out...I have a date with the Gatekeeper.
                Check out .

Comment

I added a sign up to the first post.
                  Check out .

Comment

Work has already interfered with my holiday plans and I may have to work thanksgiving day, but if I don't I plan on coming out, maybe just for a day but hopefully overnight Friday.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

SO bummed I have to miss this!!! Vegas bound Sunday, the 27th. Was planning on hitting up Calico Dec 9th weekend. As we get closer and know details, I'll post up to see if anyone wants to go.

I'm so bummed! BUT, maybe I'll hit the motherload in Vegas...will be able to buy my Dream jeep!
                      Jeep Girl

Comment

I am a may'be, I normaly head for Glamis this time of year but that has been cancled. If I can get some repairs done from my last weekends adventure I might be able to make it. Plus I've always wanted to try Gatekeeper.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          Great Roger. That is where we are thinking of camping since there will be a few motorhomes and the access is easier. I still haven't decided if I'm going out Thursday night or Friday morning. Make sure you bring the quad for Leanne. There will be others on quads.

As Mike mentioned this is not going to be all hardcore all weekend. We will be running the trails up behind Calico exploring the history. These are easy trails. We will however be running Doran and Odessa at some point. And as Art pointed out...I have a date with the Gatekeeper.
                          So camping is here?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            So camping is here?

I would say yep. That is my old black CJ in the lower right hand corner.

This is at the intersection of Mule Canyon Road and Philips Loop Road.
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                              Great Roger... ...Make sure you bring the quad for Leanne. There will be others on quads.

...I have a date with the Gatekeeper.
                              Chuck,

I can't talk LeAnne into going - yet. Maybe this will help.

I HAVE TO WATCH YOU DO GATEKEEPER. I will kick your ass if you don't let me know when you head over there... I can still kick it, it just takes me longer and we'll have to stop for a beer break.
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X