Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Denniston, South Island, New Zealand

What a fantastic area! Denniston is an ex coal minning area located on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Most 4wding in New Zealand involves mud and lots of bush but this area has lots of very grippy rock.

We spent three days exploring this area with the Canterbury Jeep Club. There are tracks everywhere as easy or as extreme as you want. The first day saw us in a lot of cloud but each day got sunnier and sunnier. great range of Jeeps from the heavily modified CJ to Grand Cherokees and my JK.

More pictures here:
    http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I like the pics that you posted in the thread, but IMO some of the best pics are in the PhotoBucket link! Great area! I'm hoping that we can squeeze this in on my next trip.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike I'd have to agree with you, some great shots

Tycho, is that your house with a view?

Thanks for posting, Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
        Mike I'd have to agree with you, some great shots

Tycho, is that your house with a view?

Thanks for posting, Cheers!
        That was our accomodation. Called The Old Slaughterhouse after a slaughterhouse that was (not anymore) at the bottom of the hill. 10 minute walk up a bush track (but they take your gear up for you). The place runs on water generated power and is very cool. Even better views with less cloud about. Link here http://www.oldslaughterhouse.co.nz/ if ever you are planning a trip out this way

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          I like the pics that you posted in the thread, but IMO some of the best pics are in the PhotoBucket link! Great area! I'm hoping that we can squeeze this in on my next trip.
          Go guys are gonna have to come out for a month Definately doable on a South Island circuit

Comment

Nice...shared this link with a friend in NZ
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

and I would be that friend,

Awesome pics there, I would love to do a south Island circuit one day too. I absolutely love the scenery down in the south. Glad you are enjoying it out here.
              Can't think of anything funny here as I am not inspired right now

Comment

very nice, those are some interesting looking trails
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

What a beautiful area! Thanks for sharing

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Lincooln View Post
                    and I would be that friend,

Awesome pics there, I would love to do a south Island circuit one day too. I absolutely love the scenery down in the south. Glad you are enjoying it out here.
                    Howdy Lincooln, I'm a Kiwi but it is Mike's fault that we got into Jeeping after visiting him and Sharon a couple of years back and spending some time around Calico in Mr Green You should definately head down for one of our Just Jeep events typically held in Reefton around Easter each year. Keep an eye out for the December issues of NZ4WD magazine as there should be a write up on my JK along with a few of the Denniston pics

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
                      Howdy Lincooln, I'm a Kiwi but it is Mike's fault that we got into Jeeping after visiting him and Sharon a couple of years back and spending some time around Calico in Mr Green You should definately head down for one of our Just Jeep events typically held in Reefton around Easter each year. Keep an eye out for the December issues of NZ4WD magazine as there should be a write up on my JK along with a few of the Denniston pics
                      Sorta cool that two Kiwi's meet on MJR. I'm lovin' it.
                      I wish that I could get a month free. Maybe the lotto will be good to me between now and next Spring (or Fall, depending on your latitude )
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X