Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Harmony Ranch, Clark's Ranch, Stetson Creek Ranch 10-16-11

I have wanted to go on an SBNF apple expedition for a few years. Today was the day and although we knew ahead of time that we would not find any apples (late May freeze ruined the crop) we still had an absolutely wonderful time.

I wrote to Kevin Hauser of Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery and the following information is what he sent me.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/historicapples.htm

Originally posted by Kevin Hauser
    As the nineteenth century pioneers settled the San Bernardino mountains, they brought their apple trees with them by the thousands. Just about every mountain homestead had at least one apple tree, and many had a whole orchard.

Apples were an important part of a settler's life, as apples would be the only fresh fruit over the winter and would be used for cooking, fresh eating, drying, cider (sweet and hard), and vinegar. They were often eaten at every meal.

From Big Bear to Crestline, the log cabins, corrals, and fence posts of these early homesteads are melting away into the forest, rusty relics that are a shadow of their former being. However, tucked away here and there, some of the apple trees still live, bearing apples exactly identical to those the pioneers enjoyed some 100 years ago.
    Harmony Ranch crate label.

We met at the Mill Creek Ranger station at 9am this morning. We headed up the hill and parked on Middle Control Road at the entrance to the Santa Ana River Trail. We loaded up our packs and started walking for Harmony Ranch.

We spotted our first apple tree

The original irrigation system

What's left of the barn

An old irrigation gate

An outdoor oven

We reach the main orchard of Harmony Ranch

As we continued exploring the area we came across this old cabin

Fruit Cellar

We had lunch back at the Jeeps and then headed for Clark's Ranch

Poison oak growing in an apple tree

Wild rose hips

After leaving Clark's Ranch we headed for our last stop at Stetson Creek Ranch. They are closed this season
    http://www.stetsoncreekranch.com/

Another fabulous day in the forest.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Doug,

What a great trip you guys had. Interesting history, and it looks like the perfect hiking weather. Thanks for the great pictures and write-up.

Mitch

Comment

Don't you want days like that to never end??
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Looks like a phenomenal trip Doug. Thanks
        Check out .

Comment

Hey! I wanna do this trip! Are any of the roads gated right now?
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Hey! I wanna do this trip! Are any of the roads gated right now?
            Only the road to Stetson Creek Ranch is gated as it is private property. Everything else in the area is open.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
            X