Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 1N01 - Weekday Cruise 10/13/2011

I talked to my buddy Mitch the other day complaining how I haven't been wheeling much lately and I needed to get out and play. So he came over yesterday morning and since the weather was perfect, he agreed that a run in the mountains was the order of the day.

I have not been on 1N01 (Pipes Road) since the mid 1980's and right after the Illegal gate was installed by the Conservarory group. But that's another discussion.

It is rated as a Blue (moderate) trail. So with Mitch riding shotgun we headed out. He was the official photographer for the run and I know he'll be posting on this thread some fantastic photos!

When we got to the trailhead and were airing down, I did look across the highway and saw that the trail to Lightening Ridge has been closed. Bummer.

The first two miles of the trail are green to the top of Onyx Peak. This is a site with many radio towers. I saw an interesting looking site that was a GPS transponder that is used to monitor earthquake activity. During the Big Bear/Landers twin quake back in 1992 Onyx peak moved and changed elevation by quite a bit. I just can't remember Just how much though. Now scientists will know any movement immediately. The views out over the desert are incredable! You can see as far as Nevada and the Sierra Nevada Range.

The rest of the trail is moderate and a stock Jeep could make it through, but with a tiny bit of bumping a bottom scraping. It does not appear anyone is maintaining the trail and there are a few dicey off-camber sections where the cut in the hillside has eroded onto the trail.

Down near the bottom is the Onyx Mine site. The buildings are still there but are pretty much trashed. The winch gears and cable are still ther running up to the top of the ridge where they mined for onyx.

After exploring this site we headed down to the Pipes Campground. This is a USFS campground but unfortunatly it appears that they have been neglecting it. It is in pretty rough shape. It's in a very nice setting though and it would be worth putting an overnight Jeep run together and camp there. There's no water and no camp fires are not allowed. Sucks having a campground with no fires. I think it is probably the most secluded campground in the SBNF.

Well, as it was getting late so we headed back and enjoyed three sunsets as we drove to my house.

Thank you Mitch for making yesterday a perfect day! I needed that!

BTW we sent Curtis a text message telling him where we were going.
    Last edited by Roger; 10-14-11, 08:15 AM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Wow, what a great day. 1N01 is a great trail with awsome views looking down from 8000-9000 feet to the desert below. When you get to the remains of the Onyx Mine mining camp, be sure to walk around the corner and hike a couple of blocks up the wash to see the winch hoist and cable system. There is at least a 1/4 mile of cable running up to the top of the mountain.

Temps were perfect all day and multiple sunsets topped off the drive back. Thank you again Roger for the wonderful day. And thank you for the offer to drive the Great88 up out of the canyon!

Mitch

1N01 trail head at Hwy38

Onyx Peak 9000'+

Onyx Mine mining camp

And if you explore you will find this stuff

Pipes Campground

On the way back up to the top. If you know the area, almost dead center in the photo, off a dirt road is the Farmington Observatory at the top of Rattlesnake Canyon.

Driving into Lucerne

Last edited by Mitch; 10-14-11, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I need to buy you a camera for your Birthday. Thankfully you took Mitch.
      Check out .

Comment

I'm still trying to learn how to use mine. Getting better though. Roger was very patient with the many photo stops.

Comment

Thank you Chuck, but I have a camera. I'm just a lousy photographer and I would have to remember to bring it along! Besides, what would Mitch do if he didn't have a camera since he's currently Jeepless?
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Here are some GPS numbers from the trip. You can see the features via Google Earth

1N01 Trailhead at Hwy 38
            34 11 32.09n 116 43 08.53w el 8460'

Onyx Mine mining camp
            34 11 28.87n 116 40 50.16w el 7180'

Power house ruins and hoist
            34 11 27.18n 116 40 56.67w el 7265'

Onyx source on hill top
            34 11 19.08n 116 41 03.68w el 7860'

Pipes Campground
            34 10 51.01n 116 39 32.19w el 6370'

Comment

Mitch and Roger thanks for the report. To bad our tax dollars don't seem to maintain the camp ground any more.Where does that money go?

Also did you guys hear that Senator Boxer is part owner of the property at the bottom that keeps you from going to pioneertown?
              Last edited by curtis; 10-15-11, 06:19 AM.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great pics Mitch!
                :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  Also did you guys hear that Senator Boxer is part owner of the property at the bottom that keeps you from going to pioneertown?
                  No I didn't, I assumed that the conservtory group that owned it was a non-profit orginization. Where did you get your information? I sure would like to follow up on that.
                  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she was.
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                  X