Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Coyote Lake Altitude Discussion

So we're headed up to Red Lake and Coyote lake this weekend and I would like to get some feedback from the experienced on MJR. I know most of you have been up in the area before and would love to hear your advise.

We're headed up there with Six Jeeps and eight heads and I just want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst. I have been researching Altitude Sickness to be prepared.

For those that have camped in the 9,000 elevation areas, is there anything I should watch out for? What has your experience been, health-wise, at that altitude?

Thank You Jeepers
    -Shant

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

The altitude should not be an issue but make sure you have a good cold weather bag. Event this time of year it will likely get well below freezing at night.
    Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Stay hydrated.

If you start to feel dizzy take a couple of aspirin (not ibuprofen)

The only real cure for altitude sickness is to get to a lower elevation.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by DirtBall89 View Post
        The altitude should not be an issue but make sure you have a good cold weather bag. Event this time of year it will likely get well below freezing at night.
        Will do. Weather.com reports 41 at night at Huntington lake which is 7,000 elevation. Safe to assume freezing temps at 9,000 elevation.
        thanks for the tip.
        Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
        Stay hydrated.

Got It! Thank You

Comment

I was up there a week or so ago camped at West Lake. We went to Coyote and Strawberry. You should have no problems. I will say that we were camped Wed-Sat and until Fri night there was absolutely no noise. Really awesome. On Fri that all changed as the crowds started coming in. I don't understand why people can't enjoy themselves without getting noisy. In our case a group at Sand Flats had a canon. They at least stopped at 10PM.
          Rich

Comment

I went in late September on a warm year and it only got down into the low 40's at night. This year is seeing some cold temps though.
            The main thing that affected me at high altitute was that one drink felt like two and I got winded walking to the restroom!
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
              Stay hydrated.

x2 on what Doug posted. Hydration, aspirin, and sleep are the only things that will help short of going back down a bit. It hits everyone differently and at different times. Most people develop a headache, some get upset stomachs, some feel dizzyness, some suffer all the above. take it easy. You'll notice it when you first set up and camp and try to inflate your mattress. Now you are adding low O2 and hyperventilation to the mix, and can trigger dizzyness and headaches right quick!

On one trip, I was suffering bad headache on day 1, my daughter was fine. Day two I had a mild headache, my daughter ralfed all over my sleeping bag and was down for the count for the whole day, day three we were both fine. It just depends.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Hydrate, as been stated. Take it easy, you are not at sea-level, while your mind may not register it, your body certainly will. Slow easy pace to get places and you will be fine. You are not really going to be high enough to feel the effects of hypoxia unless you are really exerting yourself. Just don't be running marathons and all will be well.

We were up in Mammoth for a couple of days, and like others said, by day three we were getting adjusted.

Comment

I was up there two weeks ago also. Camped at Camp Edison (shaver lake) for 8 days. Did the local trails, Didn't do Dusy this year, my buds backed out at the last min. The elevation never bothers me. Coyote Lake trail was torn up a bit more than I remember but, not too bad. The mosquito's were horrid at Red Lake but not bad at Coyote. I always bring a change of warm cloths. A few years ago, the temp. dropped all of a sudden and we ended up in a full on snow storm up at swamp creek trail. Oh yea, did I mention it was the last week in August?

Hey Ol Man.
                  When you camped at west lake, Did you have a couple of cabin tents and a flag pole in your camp?
                  Last edited by Zoobi; 08-31-11, 10:46 PM.
                  Come to the dark side.....
                  We have Cookies!

Comment

Just got back home last night. Thanks for all the advise. When we first entered Red lake, I felt the slight dizziness and the "getting tired quickly" part. I took it real slow until my body adjusted. No headaches and kept hydrated as you all stated. Loved both Red Lake and Coyote Lake although. Really dusty trails but it comes with the territory.
                    There were hundreds of Toyota's up there. On our way back down Red Lake on Sunday I ran into Russ coming up with the High Sierra's. Beautiful weekend to be out.

Comment

Working...
                    X