Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Fordyce Creek

WOW!

I can't start to describe how wonderful, beautiful, difficult, extreme, and just plain amazing this trail is. But, I will try to share the pics that we captured on our adventure.

Dirtman13, Rat Patrol, and I tackled this fantastic trail as soon as the water dropped for the Sierra Trek week. I am sure that as soon as all of us get home, we will post more of this memorable adventure, but for now, here are some of my favorite shots:

The real beginning of the Fordyce trail has a bypass. None of us took it and Rat Patrol took one of the hardest lines:

We made it to the first water crossing at 9am:

We didn't realize that the PG&E had only shut down the water flow at 7am. That would explain the seriously deep first crossing:

I have seen many pics of the trail on line, but no one has shown the many muddy sections of the trail. Let's just say that there are lots of muddy and slick places. Most are far muddier and tougher than this:

Fordyce Creek is famous for its 5 Winch Hills. But there are lots of tough spots before the first winch hill and between each of them:

When we got to Winch Hill #1, there was a broken XJ that we waited on for a couple of hours before we started trying to find a way around:

Even after we found a very difficult way around, the first Winch Hill didn't get any easier by any means:

We made it to the second crossing of Fordyce Creek late in the day:

There was a great campsite just across the water, so we made camp for the night. Great views from camp:

Unfortunately, Kurt and Chuck had a hard time finding a parking spot:

The next day, we continued on. The trail only got tougher as the day went on:

Until we got to Winch Hill #3. This probably hasn't been the toughest Winch Hill in the past, but after the recent winter, I have to say that Nature has made this one extremely difficult:

Winch Hill #4 and #5 are more difficult than most of the trail, but that isn't saying much. The whole damn thing is a challenge that will leave you smiling.

I can say that in my opinion, if you have less than 35s, two lockers, a winch, and other vehicles with you, just stay home! The only exception is the Sierra Trek event. From what I hear, they will make sure that a 33's and 2-locker vehicle makes it through.

All I can say is that this is a wonderful, beautiful, difficult, extreme, and just plain amazing trail!

I can't wait to do it again next year!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

That looks like all kinds of fun

Comment

Awesome!!!
      '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

Fantastic. I can't wait for more pictures
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

WOW seems to be a great discription. I have never seen any pictures of that trail, it sure does look like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
          Build it right the first time.

Comment

I'm on my way to Sierra Trek. I guess I should bring my underwater camera!!
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Looks like good time's. It's been too long since I ran that. Glad everything went well for you.
              Come to the dark side.....
              We have Cookies!

Comment

Looks like a fun trip.

Comment

As always looks like you guys had a great time.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Damn that trail was (still is) on my bucket list. Stupid recession. Can't wait to get another jeep. Any JKU's on the trail? I'm hopeful that in a few years I might snag me one.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Great pics guys looks like another epic trip.......
                      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Great post!!!

Comment

Just got home, got the Jeep unloaded and stuff put away. Pictures and video are downloading now. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. MAN what a trip!
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                            Damn that trail was (still is) on my bucket list. Stupid recession. Can't wait to get another jeep. Any JKU's on the trail? I'm hopeful that in a few years I might snag me one.
                            No JKs while we were out there. It was mostly Toyotas on giant tires. My 35s were the smallest things on the trail that I saw.
                            (You might want to do some homework on JKs before you buy one for doing anything other than going to the mall. From what I am hearing, JK sounds like it stands for Just Kidding)
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              No JKs while we were out there. It was mostly Toyotas on giant tires. My 35s were the smallest things on the trail that I saw.
                              (You might want to do some homework on JKs before you buy one for doing anything other than going to the mall. From what I am hearing, JK sounds like it stands for Just Kidding)

Ouch that hurt
                              [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X