Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Cerro Gordo Ghost Town 6-24-11

After we checked out the Salt Tram we headed to Cerro Gordo. This section of trail has a couple places that you need to pay attention. There is a mile long section that drops 1000 feet on a loose, twisty trail. Low gears and light on the brakes and you will make it. Then right before Cerro Gordo there is a loose narrow section of shelf road. Mike had only a few inches of trail on my side at one point, yes my side with a 1000 foot drop below me. I could not have got out of the Jeep if I wanted to.

Briain had made arrangements for a special tour for us with Bob, the caretaker at Cerro Gordo. Every building was opened for our inspection. We had access to the museum, the Assay Office, the American Hotel, and also drove up to and explored the main mill and winch house. We took lots of firewood and 25 gallon jugs of water as a thank you. There is zero water source up there so wood and water is always in criticle need

Shelf road section

The view below my door

That is the passenger side, with 2" of trail next to the edge! 2" over would not support your body weight let alone a Jeep.

Cerro Gordo

Inside the museum. This is so awesome

The Assay Office

American Hotel

Brian tending bar in The American Hotel

Now this is a stove!

Power house and Hoist/Winch room. Once coal/wood fired then switched over to electric and hydrolics.

Brian at the controls. This hoist/winch went down 900 feet.

So much to see, can't wait to go back.

On the way out to Keeler, there are several more mines down the hill. There was also another ore tram with several stations if you looks close up the hill on the south hills.

Most people will miss this gem. That ore bucket is suspended from the cable over a thousand in the air. You can barely see it from the road.

Such an incredible trip! Thank you Brian for the invite, and thank you mike for driving and sharing the passenger seat. A lifetime of sights in 3 days.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 06-26-11, 09:33 AM.

Isn't Cerro Gordo cool? Great place. We were not allowed in the mill when we went, nice treat!
    I'm glad that you guys took water and firewood. Bob needs all the help that he can get right now.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice trip Mitch & Mike, we did the loop a year or so ago. Glad to see the trail is open.
      Did you climb the ladders in the mine I hear there are several levels & tunnels there.

Comment

Jeez Mitch!
        I had no idea my tire was that close to the edge and not a peep out of you!

Your photo's are excellent, that camera is working great for you.

Part of the E Clampus Vitus crew

Mike
        Last edited by Deepwater; 06-26-11, 06:31 PM.
        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Great pictures Mitch. Thanks for sharing.
          Check out .

Comment

Great pictures Mitch. We had a great time and glad that you and Mike were able to join us. Cerro Gordo is a way cool ghost town.
            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

i know im bringin up an old thread but "Bob" out there at cerro gordo was my autoshop teacher at Cajon High School, i looked at the 4 wheel drive magazine article they did on up there and saw a pic of him, man its been a while, i know him more from outside of class tho. lol i gotta get up there and visit him! hes always wanting me to go up there.!

Comment

Working...
              X