Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Holcomb Adopt-A-Trail 6-18-11

I know that not everyone sees the work behind the scenes regarding the Adopt-A-Trail work crews. This is not a regular Trip report and these are normally only on the AAT thread.

I want to personally thank the people that have spent countless hours on the Holcomb Creek 3N93 project. We as a group (MJR) have some awesome dedicated people that have donated a lot of hours and time to keeping as well as opening trails in the SBNF. There are people who have logged up to 600 hours on the trail alone in the last 3 years. I make a couple trips each year, but some are spending a lot of personal time. If anyone is interested in helping with the AAT program, please contact Sarah for info. You need to be pre-signed up for the SBNF legal liabilities. Work can be as simple as repainting burnt signage to cutting over grown brush. Today sections of downed trees were drug as a side trail blockage. This involved at times 2 vehicles winching at the same time, 3+ foot diameter sections of trees 20 feet long. There are things that anybody can handle.

If you run this hopefully soon to be re-opened trail be sure to find and thank those that made it possible!

Mitch

A few photo's from todays work detail.

Freshly painted signage

Scott hauling rocks for the "marsh section".

Small log blockage of 2N06X

Amazing amount of work felling 300 trees by the forestry hotshots and helpers.

Some happy faces after a bust ass day on the trail.

Heading out

Last edited by Mitch; 06-18-11, 07:37 PM.

Seeing some normal faces that are always out there. Thanks to all the helpers. Wish I can be there every Sunday but I get a Sunday off once in a while. Will be there soon again. Thanks for the pics Mitch and thanks for posting on the public side for all to see.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

We need to give Kurt, Ryan, Chuck, Nick, Mike and Russ (and girls) a special thanks for all the hard work and hours they have put in! It is unbelieable how hard they work.:smile: :beer:
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        We need to give Kurt, Ryan, Chuck, Nick, Mike and Russ (and girls) a special thanks for all the hard work and hours they have put in! It is unbelieable how hard they work.:smile: :beer:
        Thanks Curtis! It's nice to be noticed, and there are a lot of others that have helped along the way. I can't begin to name everyone that has helped but I know we will get an offical thank you out there to all who have given thier time and sore muscles to help. It's fantastic to see how many people are willing to put in the effort to help do something like this. The task hasn't been easy, nor is it done, but we are making great progress toward doing something that has been accomplished very few times in the SBNF. Keep your fingers crossed everyone. And thanks again for the support.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

This is an awesome repart because I think you are right Mitch, not a lot of people (myself included) get to see how much work goes into re-opening trails like this. Great job and a big thanks to everyone pitching in. Is there any official word on when the trail will be open?
          Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by explorer1 View Post
            This is an awesome repart because I think you are right Mitch, not a lot of people (myself included) get to see how much work goes into re-opening trails like this. Great job and a big thanks to everyone pitching in. Is there any official word on when the trail will be open?
            Thanks,
            Chris
            Not yet, there are a few things that still need to be done. But I can say this, if it is not open this summer, I will be very surprised.

Here are some more pics of the work done on Saturday:

We (mostly) filled in this marshy area:

Removing damaged sign stickers:

We started blocking off 2N06X before lunch and finished off afterwards:

[COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Mitch,

Great report. Thank you for coming up and helping us out this weekend. Every little bit helps. On Sunday we were pleasantly surprised with a visit by one the AAT liaisons for the USFS. He rode the entire trail with us and was astonished by what we have completed. None of that would have been possible without the help of the AAT members on this board.
              Check out .

Comment

Thank you for all of your really hard work. I would like to help. I will contact Sarah.

Comment

[COLOR="sienna"] If you Wish to join AAT, click this link. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    Thanks. I filled out the request to join form.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Mitch. Hoping to join you guys on July 2nd or 3rd if you're going to be working.
                      ~Reed

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                        Way to up your friend count

Join come out and do what you can, like our web site it's that simple and the kids seem to have fun there too, go figure.

I think I have 2 friends counting myself (can't remember the other)

Comment

Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this effort, looking forward to the trail opening again.

On a side note, ran Dishpan a couple of weeks ago and then 3N16 Eastbound from Crab Flats. Amazing how much the forest is being thinned of potential fuel outside of the burn area. Even on a Saturday crews were busily cutting trees down and removing Manzanita bushes. A tremendous amount of work!
                          '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

Working...
                          X