Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Today's trail blazing and a bit of Cougar Buttes fun

Fred and me met up with the 100 dollarman for some exploring, the original goal was to see if we could do a pre run on Mike's trails for knuckleheads
    Well once we entered the first canyon and hiked it partially it became quickly clear that the first canyon was going to take a lot of work to make it passable.
    So we turned around and when heading out Mark saw a canyon that looked like a nice challenge which is hence forth dubbed MF and A. It's a pretty steep climb with lots of loose stuff and rocks. Took us several hours to tackle, but was a load of fun.
    Once that was done and we found a way back to our starting point we explored the second canyon on Mike's list pretty much the same thing some fun areas and some areas that need quite a bit of work to make them passable. Mark played on a few parts of it after which we headed back to Cougar Buttes and puttered around there for a bit. One of the Bullfrog extreme trails is fun, some of the other stuff is starting to look easy like the Jeep eater. All in All a wonderful day in the desert nice temps, just windy as heck.

Link to pics

http://public.fotki.com/aw12345/trail-blazing-johns/

Last edited by aw12345; 06-01-11, 05:10 AM.

Good job on the pic's Art. Mark made his way up with out disturbing much but when Art and I went through we changed just about everything. This trail was steep and full of lose rock lots of fun.
    You can make it

Comment

[COLOR="blue"]That's too bad about the trail not being passable, untill Cal Trans gets up there I guess I'll have to keep looking for another.
      On the 11th we'll (you'll) have to do the CB tuff trail before doing the regular stuff.[/COLOR]

Comment

Post a challenge on Pirate 4x4 see if there are some seriously energetic folks that want to make a go of it.
        Or organize some work parties. Both those canyons would make bitching trails

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Post a challenge on Pirate 4x4 see if there are some seriously energetic folks that want to make a go of it.
          Or organize some work parties. Both those canyons would make bitching trails
          If anyone wants to give it another try sometime. Maybe this fall we can throw some rocks around. Im surprised Hundy's tugboat didn't make it.LOL

Comment

The little tug boat turned around and smoked the tires getting out of there lol. Either our eyes were way bigger than the 40" tires or a lot of rocks slid in there over the winter, the upper part is pretty darn bad

Comment

Thanks Art and Fred for a great run! And Brian for helping with the spotting and winching--

The pics dont show the 'steepness' of some of those cyns! A couple of the original cyns looked fun for sure----- had some challenging, but do-able sections---- but we would run into a spot up the cyn that would be super difficult-- maybe not impossible, but it would take a ton of work to get through.

The looseness of the rocks in the cyn were giving us trouble. Difficult to climb, and also difficult to find a good solid winch anchor. It was nice to get to Cougar Buttes where the tires stick like glue!!!

I am sending Art a few pics-- maybe he can post them for me---

THX guys for a great day!!!

Comment

Mark thanks for the pics.
                Getting ready to head out

FM and A trail

Taking a break after a trail well done

Last edited by aw12345; 05-29-11, 03:21 PM.

Comment

#4 of this last set would make a killer avitar! Impressive isn't a big enough word.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                  X