Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Gold Mountain - John Bull combo tomorrow Saturday May 21st

Hey guys,

sorry for the short notice but we just decided to head to big bear tomorrow at around 10 am.
    We will do Gold Mountain and then we will run John Bull.

Anyone is up for some fun?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Toni

Hey I see this post on JeepForum.com too....

Do you think I can do Gold Mountain with a combo of 3" front 2" rear BB and 1" BL running 31" tires ... unlocked but disco'd.
    I've done 1N37 and 2N70Y and 1N01 easily
    I may go up Gold and then Jacoby and or Maybe 3N61Y Heartbreak .
    I donno its a last minute idea for me too I have to cal some friends...

If I see you out there , I'm in a Blue 2000 TJ soft top.

This is before BL

Comment

NAXJA is having an event there this weekend, so bring a lunch if your doing the popular trails...should be fun.

Comment

Do you have to be a club member ?
        What trails are they running Sat.?

I haven't run Gold Mtn or Jacoby or Heartbreak in a Jeep only a dualsport bike.
        Anybody doing those ?
        Last edited by Mike-Motorbike; 05-20-11, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Mike,

last time I ran Gold Mountain, I had a 97 TJ 4 cylinders on 33 tires and I did it with no particular issues....except the first obastacle of the trail.
          I took the most difficult route since my buddy got stucked on the easiest part.
          With no lockers, I did not make it and had to winch myself out.

This time i have a 03 Rubicon on 35s and i am curious to do Gold Mountain again.
          For now it is going to be me and a friend on a toyota pick up on 31s with lockers.

We should be at the start of the trail at around 10 am.

Let me know if you will be there.

Toni

Comment

I've done gold mtn. & John Bull.
            33's 3:07's, open front & rear. 2" lift
            Made it through both without help. Give it a go!
            I'd join you if I could. Not this time.
            Have fun!

Scott

Comment

Nobody called me back.
              I'm not sure what I'm gonna do but keep an eye out for me .
              I may be there.

I was planning to get up there around 8:00 ish ... so I may do another trail then meet you there at 10

Comment

Got there at 9:40 waited till 10:35 ...

Lots of people up there .

Comment

Mike,
                  I am really sorry....I had issues with my CB and i was trying to fix it at the ranger station at millcreek....
                  ended up arriving at gold mountain at 11.
                  I just got home.

We ran gold mountain and then John Bull.
                  Lots of fun....and a lot of NAXJA guys up there.
                  Saw several JK s as well.
                  Did you end up doing gold mountain?
                  How did it go?

Toni

Comment

Oh ... oops ..
                    The kids interrupted my post.

Yes I did , it went well.......

I saw the NAXJA guys at the discovery center and lots of Jeeps and dualsport bikes everywhere . 9:30

While at the trail head , I saw some groups go up Gold Mtn (actually heard them on channel 16)

Then the NAXJA guys went up they were on Channel 4. I could hear there was a backup... I'd say there were 20 to 30 4x's on the trail....

I went up and it was still backed up a couple XJ guys decided to go back and run Jacoby and said I could go with them.. 10:40
                    They were cool ... But they stopped for lunch half way up Jacoby .

I wanted to do Gold Mtn and/or 2N61Y and I was running out of time so I motor'd on .. 12 ish ??

I decided to try Gold Mtn again and met a TJ (4" 33's) and JK (built) that were kind enough to let me follow them up and they kept an eye on me . I think they were like ( lets tell him its easy and see how far he gets) Then when I cleared the sections they were (WOW he did it)....

I got to the first obstacle and wasn't sure I could make it . Thats when the TJ just drove up , no sweat.
                    I got up even smoother than him ..
                    From the video's on the net I thought that was the worst spot of the trip............
                    I thought cool I got it licked...

Well there is a few before the rock garden and a few after... I guess the cameras get put away after the first one???

I made it the whole way pretty good. Only got stuck once and I just tried a different line and cleared it.
                    They went on to John Bull ..... I'm not ready to do that trail so I headed towards 2N61Y. 3:00 ish.
                    I got to 2N01 around 4 ish and it was getting late to risk getting stuck by myself so I headed home.

I didn't get to do all the trails I wanted ,but it worked out good for me.
                    I got to do Gold Mtn with a little backup and without a crowd .

I think that The first time up Gold Mtn on 4 wheels is enough to digest.
                    Its a challenging trail.

Comment

You must of gotten there right after I left for Jacoby...
                      How was the backup ?
                      Did you stop to air down??
                      If so it may have cleared up by then.

Comment

Yea.
                        I aired down at the start of the trail.
                        We saw 2 xj going in the opposite direction at the first obstacle.
                        Then we saw a large groups of XJ that were having lunch and "kinda" blocking the trail.
                        So we had to take a bypass. Finished the trail and then headed to John Bull.
                        My friend has a old toyota pick up on 31's with rear locker and since John Bull was packed, he did not want to slow others down (he finished the trail before).
                        So we just took my jeep and went through it.

I had a very good time.

Until next time.

Comment

Working...
                        X