Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Sedona Wheelin

So as soon as I moved to Arizona from Orange County I kept getting told "You have to go see Sedona, you'll love it there". Well I must be pretty easy to figure out as a lot of people were spot on here. It does of course help that this area looks like an artful masterpiece brushed by someone with skill the world hasn't seen from thousands of years.

So Saturday afternoon I left from my house, I was running later than what I'd hoped; but I had to help my dad with some unpacking (he's a new Az resident). Kalah and I were headed up to meet Roger and his wife for a weekend of fun. The weather was perfect. 98 and sunny in Phoenix area, around 78 and sunny in Sedona. We couldn't have asked for a more pleasant drive up. We got into town around 2:30 on Saturday and met up with Roger at their hotel. From here we chatted for a few and headed on out to the Broken Arrow trail head. With it getting to be mid day we figured this 4 mile scenic beauty would be a great way to start the trip. Below are a few pictures from it. I did learn one tough lesson... Don't skim the signs at the beginning of the trail and stop reading after seeing all the "Tread Lightly" principles spelled out... I missed an important one about driving onto "Submarine Rock". I did, I got in trouble, I felt stupid, life goes on. I didn't really notice the "Submarine" until I looked at photos after the fact. I'm trying to post these in order but I can't promise anything.

Our Sedona Crew

Here's the 'bridge' to Submarine Rock... I knew I could make it and noticed tires tracks and figured it would make for a great photo...

Thanks to a new phone/camera/computer/camcorder... We didn't get some of the photos orientated right. I'm not the best with software stuff (no patience) so you're getting the raw form.

This is the photo that gave me that "ah hah" moment... Ooops!

Here's some videos of Broken Arrow fun; namely the Staircase. I won't rant too much here but I do feel as if some of the Jeep tour folks aren't following some principles and thus cause some ruts to form in places. We watched three of them come down the staircase and it seemed as if they never even touched the brakes. While I know this could be more fun for the paying customers, it seems to me that speed off road is one of the most dangerous things when in a position that it isn't necessary to carry momentum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SzmJ7jNM9o

This is another of my technological challenges. Hard to believe I work at Intel yet am so ignorant to new technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-PUlS1abZE

Around the 1:10 mark you can hear a snap, this was one of the Rubi Ex springs snapping on the front left. Roger made a great repair on it later that night and thankfully we were past the hard stuff into some smooth sailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ97TJCPQQ

Now we begin our Soldier's Pass tour. This is a short (1 mile) trail with the 7 Pools of Apache as well as Devil's Kitchen on it. Both of these were amazing. Depending upon your beliefs, the 7 Pools are one of two "Energy Vortex" that exist in the area. I can only imagine the wonder these pools would cause if viewed while flowing... I'm going to work on that this summer when the rain sets in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQj3DXYrpI

The pools were hard to photograph all at once so we did it in sections. The Devil's Kitchen was absolutely amazing. I was standing about 40 or 50 feet back from the edge and still couldn't get the entire thing in the shot. The 'table' rock that has fallen in the far side of the photos is about 40 or 50 feet wide, and quite thick.

Roger gave me some grief for being a 'poser'. But what can I say.. I'm hoping to convince Jeep to give me a new Rubicon for "marketing purposes"

These next few are from Schnebly Hill Road. This is a gorgeous road that connects Sedona to I-17. You can pass this road in a car, but an SUV would offer much quick passage as well as a bit more comfort.

I thought that this formation looked like a dog laying down, ears pinned back, with a few bullfrogs sitting around it. The zoom on my phone seems to have blurred it a bit but hopefully you can see it as well.

Here's the view we had when we stopped for lunch, and what would be our goodbyes as well. What a wonderful place to have some manifold burritos. It was a bit windy up here, and thus a little chilly thanks to me forgetting our bag with clothes in it...

We decided we wanted to hit an optional loop on the way out to get a little more crawling in. With Roger's Jeep trail repaired he decided it best to not head out with us. Once we ran a few tenths of a mile I decided I was done driving and turned the keys over to Kalah. She did a great job and these are just some videos of her having fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5x_cwji8c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJmI00QrOU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQyVWaHY94
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpQ9KcRFxnk

Once we finished the loop we came to one more spectacle view on our way to I-17. We took a Dam Picture for your enjoyment.

Hope more folks can make it back for the remix. I may head up there on Monday with Kalah's parent's now that I know how close it really is. Check back for Roger's post once he's safe in Ca.
    USMC F&AM

I forgot to mention... I posted this up on AZVJC as well and Nena at Barlow's Jeep Rental's invited us to stop in for some maps and such. Some of you may have met her in Big Bear this past weekend as she was there for the Jamboree. I wanted to say that her staff was spectacular and gave us some very detailed maps of various trips in the area. Thanks alot to them!
    USMC F&AM

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for sharing your trip. Sedona is an awesome scenic place. Very nice pictures and videos. I talked to Roger twice yesterday. Sounds like he had things handled for the return trip. Thanks for watching out and keeping him on the easy trails

Mitch

Comment

Great report Chris. Beautiful scenery. I got to make it up there one of these days.
        Check out .

Comment

Mitch thanks for getting back to us while we were out there. We had a great trip. Chuck, you'll have to come out this way some time. You'd get bored with your Jeep, even taking all the harder lines. I think Kalah and I plan to make this an annual trip; right about the same time of year so that we keep getting gorgeous weather.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Wow! thats an awesome place thanks for sharing.

Comment

LeAnne and I had a great time! Thanks Chris & Kalah, you guys are awesome!

We arrived Friday and I took Russ Chung's advice and had made reservations at the Sugarloaf lodge. Nice clean & quiet place.
              Friday we did the tourist thing and visited Toozigoot National Monument and the mining town of Jerome:

Toozigoot:

Next Stop was Jerome, the richest mining area in the West. Over one billion dollars of gols & copper came out of the mines. Some of the shafts are 4,800 ft deep! that's down to sea level!

Here's a shot of part of the town:

We visited the Sate museum there. It was the mansion of James Douglas, the owner of one of the mines.

Mitch & I have often mentioned the Arrastras we have explored in our postings. Here are a few photos from the museum showing how they actually looked when they were in use:

I learned that they go back to the Roman times.

The stamp mill replaced the arrastras:

Broken Arrow Trail photos:

Chris going through some rocks. He is in the Desert Dog class of drivers!

Schnebly Hill Trail:

LeAnne wants this house:

My little mishap on the broken arrow trail - I posted up the repairs on a thread under the "Suspension" tech area.

Thanks again Chris & Kalah, it was a great trip and you guys are great to wheels with.
              Last edited by Roger; 05-17-11, 12:03 PM.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for having us, we really enjoyed it. I am still waiting on that water theory thou. And "Dessert Dog" hmmmm not sure what that means
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Desert Dog Is a member in good standing with MJR. He's a friend of mine and he is fearless driving his stock TJ. He will go anywhere and nothing is too difficult for him. You should take it as a compliment to be in his class of driver!!

Oh, and creek crossing is his specialiaty
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Haha. Then i appreciate it! Got some fun pics of my dads Jeep doing some creek crossings.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                    X