Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
    WOW. How many miles did you travel on that little trip Russ?
    I logged 1587 miles from the time I left home until I returned home. I spent $366.87 on gasoline. I also spent $18.59 for two packages of chocolate nut clusters at the Death Valley Nut & Candy Company.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
      I logged 1587 miles from the time I left home until I returned home.
      LOL, I've taken trips to Moab in the 1600 mile range. You certainly traversed the Death Valley area!
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

great trip report! thank you!
        KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Thanks for the report Russ and again we're sorry we missed your group. We logged agout 890 miles......
          John & Kristi

Comment

Nice write up I was able to visit last Thanksgiving ( none wheeling trip ) and Death Valley sure is a place you need to visit. I need to go back with a jeep next time.

Comment

My brother Dennis and I met up with John and Kristi at Wildrose campground Thursday afternoon. Given the chilly air there at 4500" we decided to head down to Mesquite Springs Campground in hopes of warmer weather. Don't like cold nights in a tent any more. Couldn't talk John and Kristi to come down with us. Found the campground at 5 PM and Russ and the Jeep Expedition group. Joined them at the campfire and got acquainted. Real nice group of people.

Russ's and Johns posts do a great job of describing the trip. There was an overwhelming amount of things to see. Saturday the group packed up to go home, but not before we got directions to some of the more interesting places they had visited, namely White Top mountain and the Lost Burro mine.

Thanks Russ for inviting us to join the group and for lending us your map.

On our route back from Gold Point we got up into some elevation with snow on the trail and mud.

Saturday we headed out to Rhyolite then to Beaty for gas, lunch and cell phone coverage. We came across three parked big rigs carrying wind turbine blades. Couldn't believe how big the are.

Sunday out racetrack road to Lost Burro mine. While up exploring the mines saw these guys watching us.

View racetrack playa from the ridge above the mines:

From there we drove up to White Top mountain to the very end of the trail and the awesome view of the valley from up there.

Back at camp we had the moon rising as the sun was setting, perfect

By Sunday it had warmed up to 95° and 75° at night. Beware of leaving your tent flap open at night to catch the breeze. You never know what will join you.

Bats in the tent.

Mike
              "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Working...
              X