Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Last run for the great88

Well Saturday April 16th was my last run driving the great88. I was asked to take a few Jeeps on a run to the Rodman Mountain petroglyphs for a little tour. I met up with Batty Patty, Scott and Vincent, Kurt (owner of the Riley'sMine property, Josh, and friends Randy and Carmen. We headed out north on Camp Roack Road for a dusty drive to the Backside of Rodman Mtn. The weather was perfect all day. Blue skies and 80'.

Rodman Mountain petroglyphs

Cute baby Horned Toad Lizard

Next we headed to Camp Skee for a quick look. On a very positive note, The trail leading to this cool mining camp and mine, now has a BLM trail sign. Never has been marked on designated before!!!!Looks like this will be a keeper.

Patty coming out of the mine

Carmen the "Dog Whisperer" and Randy walking the kids (Louie, Buggsy, and Abigale)

Next went drove up to the Ord Belt Mine. This also had a new route desigated sign!!! This mine rquires 4x4 to get to. A nice loose climb is worth the adventure. This mine is more like a natural cave with it's features. The interior is damp and water drips from the ceiling in places which has allowed for the minerials to form flow stone as well as stalagtites (1" long). The lower tunnel is over 300' in length. We did not drive go up to the upper level but there are several more tunnels to explore if you hunt for them (Topo work guys).

A perfect day for my last run in the great88! Now Roger gets to kick it up a notch and continue running the rig. Thanks all
    Last edited by Mitch; 04-17-11, 06:56 AM.

These are pictures that Patty sent to me via facebook. Thanks Patty I had a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post

A perfect day for my last run in the great88!
      Your trip reports and pictures have always been a highlight of my week. You will be missed. Good luck on your future endeavors.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Well Mitch good luck to you and Tammy in your move to the south and your life together. Was kinda time for you to get life to take a turn for the better isn't it?

Comment

Mitch, I fully expect you to sit in the navigator's seat whenever you want to until you move!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Mitch you will be greatly missed. Good luck my friend.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thanks guys. I will be around till at least mid June. I still need at least 2 more mines to make that magic 100!

Mitch

Comment

I really need to pay closer attention to these forums... I really would have liked to have gone.
                Jeep

Comment

What cool pics....
                  Did I break it?

Comment

Thanks guys. I will be around till at least mid June. I still need at least 2 more mines to make that magic 100!

Mitch
                    This MUST happen. You know that you have lots of friends that will take you to the last two mines. Just ask. We'll be there for you.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Mitch, Sorry it took so long to reply to this.
                      Had a great time as always, Kurt as well as the rest of us really appreciated you leading us one last time.
                      I don't know what I'm going to do... I always took it for granted that you would be here to lead the way, so I kinda never really paid attention to where everything was. Now I'm actually going to have to learn & REMEMBER where everything is. You will definitely be missed.
                      Thanks again buddy, for this and all previous adventures!
                      Also, Norma wants me to remind you about that recipe... you know the one. If you leave without giving it to her you will be looking over your shoulder the rest of you life........
                      And, Randy, It was good to see you & Carmen again. It's been too long. I'll give you a call this weekend.

Comment

Good luck Mitch,hoping for the best for you in your future endeavors.Maybe we can have another get togeather at Nicks before you hit the road.
                        Dennis & Tammy
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I still need at least 2 more mines to make that magic 100!

Mitch
                          [COLOR="blue"]Only 2 mines huh.......I'll have to see what I can come up with.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                          X