Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Johnson Valley

Well after a 250 mile drive to Ventura with Roger yesterday, I didn't want to just sit around today . I met up with Batty Patty today for a tour of some of the spots that she knew about that I had not been to yet in Johnson Valley. Her friends Greg and his wife followed us for the first half of our exploring trip. A wonderful day, just a little windy in the late afternoon.

North of Hwy 247

First we drove thru Means Dry Lake and north past the Hammers trails. Then we headed south in the next large canyon to the Emerson Mine area. This was an very interesting area for me. There was once a lot of mining activity here. We checked out the old miners cabin, a couple of tailings piles, and old mill site, and also the main mine tunnel. There are several areas in the tunnel that the roof has collapsed or split open and the light above can be seen. After walking up top, there is a faulted area that runs for 2 blocks above the tunnel. Very unique. Also this was mine #98 for me! Getting closer to #100

We stopped at the old dry Means Well on the way to the Los Padres Mine area

Los Padres Mine. Was very large before is was dozed and closed recently. The upper tunnel is still open if you have the energy to hike up to it.

This was a new spot that Patty showed me. The mill site for the Green Hornet Mine. I have not heard of this before. This left me with more questions.

A couple of visitors from the Marine Base

South of Hwy 247

Patty's friends departed after the first half of the adventure so we explored the area north of Hwy 247 next. Patty showed me a canyon that led to an old house that had dates in the concrete from 1954. This must have been a very special place years ago. We explored the area and headed further south up the canyon to a nice flowing spring. Today we saw dozens of Jack rabbits, probably a 100 quail, and even a nice fat Rosy Boa snake. Rattlers will be out soon!

Nice covey taking off!

We stopped at another old rock cabin

Johnson Valley petroglyphs

Old homestead cabin remains

And you have to love the desert "Lawn Art" WTF?

Coming home to another awesome desert sunset

Thanks Patty! A great day

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 04-13-11, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Awesome day Mitch! You know that if you had Rat Patrol with you today, one of you would have a desert rosy boa pet right now.
      Great stuff! Let's see mine #99 & 100!
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

That snake looked like it had just ate something big, otherwise I would have petted it a little bit.

Mines #99 and #10 are coming soon!

Comment

Thanks you again for taking me all over Johnson Valley! You are wonderful company, Mitch!

Yes Mitch, I keep telling you the people with the lawn art have been out in the desert too long with out a hat! LOL!

I guess I am picture challenged, I can't figure out how to put one in my message. Maybe I've been out in the sun with out a hat too long! ;-)

Comment

A note after some more reserch on the mining in this area.

Emerson Mine : In 1923 L. S. Emerson began developing a gold prospect and the nearby "Old Fortuna Mine". He built a mill whose ruins stand at the southwest edge of Emerson Dry Lake . The Emersaon Mine produced a small amout of gold, operating on and off from 1927 to 1938. The Los Padres Mine, southwest of Emerson Dry Lake, was described in 1940 after the mine had become idle as having a twenty ton mill that had been erected and having a well a mile west of the Los Pares Mine. The mill foundations still remain and have the name of the Green Hornet Mine printed on the foundation.

Also listed: recorded in 1909, Mean's Well had been sunk on the northern edge of Mean's Lake by the Gold Pin Mining Company. The well had an engine mounted at the well to pump the water to the mines. (This is on the dry lake and now looks like a concreted fire ring, due to people and nature filling in the well).

Info from the book "Desert Fever" and in person observations.

Mitch

Comment

Los Padres Mine

How many Los Padres mines are there? I've been searching for the infamous "Los Padres Mine " for some time now. The one I've been looking for is in the Fort Tejon area although there is also another said to be in the New Mexico area as well. There is a legend behind this mine but if it ever existed is unknown. Thanks for the many reports Mitch, it's been a pleasure reading.
              How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

Ediot,

The only Los Padres Mine that I know about is just north of the Landers area. Once a very large mine, the main adit was filled with seismic equipment from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratotory, and was used as a neuclear monitoring site, all behind locked steel doors. Do a Google Search for this "Los Padres Mine AML Investigation" Very interesting stuff!

34 23 17.61n 116 24 41.55w

Comment

Heres what my book says about the Los Padres mine. That was a pretty common mine name back then.

"Los Padre mining co.
                  M.C. Clems, Pres,
                  540 Title ins.bldg.los Angelas,ca (1943)

Section 35,T4n,R5E,SB proj,

Near Emerson dry lake East of Lucerne Valley. Steeply dipping Gold bearing Quartz vein in gneissoid granite, width 2 to 3 ft. A 150ft. inclined shaft sunk on vein connects with a drift adit at 50ft. and with a drift off a 700 ft. crosscut adit at 150ft. Drifts at these levels have explored the vein for 380ft. High grade ore recovered from upper workings; some Gold in wire form. Ore treated in upper mill a half mile west of mine.

Mine was idle in 1953."

I think that the tunnel that had the seismic stuff was some sort of hauling tunnel.

Generally speaking the holes that go straight down were better paying than the holes we like to walk into.

According to the book I have the The Los Padres mine goes nearly straight down and underground it has cross cut tunnels that followed the vein under ground. The Gold is in quartz and the quartz is in Granite.

What miners call a vein is really an earthquake fault! Where to 2 plates come together is what pushed the Gold bearing host rock up to the surface.
                  Last edited by chris142; 04-22-11, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chris for the info. Very similar to what I read. Patty was with the biologist prior to to the latest dozer closing. She said that they walked several hundred feet in the winding main adit to verify that the adit was free of bats and or animals. She did not agree with the closure method but no say in that. The upper level is there for fit climbers!

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      Well after a 250 mile drive to Ventura with Roger yesterday, I didn't want to just sit around today . I met up with Batty Patty today for a tour of some of the spots that she knew about that I had not been to yet in Johnson Valley. Her friends Greg and his wife followed us for the first half of our exploring trip. A wonderful day, just a little windy in the late afternoon.

North of Hwy 247

First we drove thru Means Dry Lake and north past the Hammers trails. Then we headed south in the next large canyon to the Emerson Mine area. This was an very interesting area for me. There was once a lot of mining activity here. We checked out the old miners cabin, a couple of tailings piles, and old mill site, and also the main [color=black]Car accessories[/color] mine tunnel. There are several areas in the tunnel that the roof has collapsed or split open and the light above can be seen. After walking up top, there is a faulted area that runs for 2 blocks above the tunnel. Very unique. Also this was mine #98 for me! Getting closer to #100
                      Loving the pictures but wow 98!!! That's awesome, the 100 mark is going to feel amazing I bet.

Comment

Just came along this thread and would like to say that the lawn art photo is my house, it sure is a small world and yes he have been in the sun to long with out hats

And you have to love the desert "Lawn Art" WTF?

Comment

Too funny. And yes it is a very small world sometimes Welcome to MJR

Comment

Working...
                          X