Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Death Valley 4/14-4/18

We are planning on heading up to Death Valley to do some exploring and old mine hunting, getting some wheelin in as we go. We be using Wildrose camp as our base making daily trips from there. If anyone wants to come up either for a day or a few thats where you can find us. We will/can monitor CB and Ham so if ya want us to listen up for ya lemme know what channel/freq.
    We have never done this area so not sure exactly where we'll be going but I would like to make Rhyolite Ghost Town, Titus Cyn and as many of the remote sights as possible.
    If anyone that knows more about this place or is going to be out there post up if you got some suggestions....thx.......

We'll be leaving the OC area early that Thurs morning up interstate 15 to Hwy 395 north to Trona Road stopping at the Pinnicles (sp?) on the way to Wildrose.
    Last edited by Nipple Twister; 04-11-11, 09:54 AM. Reason: added text
    John & Kristi

Wish I could make it, but have a fun trip. If you get time check out echo canyon. It is a really cool narrow canyon and you can check out Inyo mine at the end of the road. Lots of remains and extensive mines to explore. Can't wait to see the pics

Chris

Comment

John,

I'm going to be at Mesquite Springs Campground with a group from Jeep Expeditions from Tuesday thru Saturday. It's the campground by Scotty's Castle. On Thursday, we plan to run Rhyolite and Titus Canyon (and stop in Beatty to visit the Death Valley Nut & Candy Co). On Friday, we will be visiting the living ghost town of Gold Point, NV. On Saturday, we head home. We are planning to visit Scotty's Castle on Wednesday, but if the federal government shuts down, we might move the Titus Canyon run to Wednesday. Since there are no repeaters in Death Valley, we will be on 147.480 simplex and I'll monitor 146.52.

Since you will be at Wildrose Campground, it is just a short trip to the Charcoal Kilns:

You don't want to miss Aguereberry Point:

And the Arch in Telegraph Canyon:

Russ
      Last edited by Russ Chung; 04-08-11, 09:18 AM.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

Chris and Russ, thanks for the info.
        We'll will post a trip report with pics for sure.
        Russ: we'll just be getting in Thurs so we'll miss you for that but we'll call on that freq if we get in early.
        Thanks for the cool info.......
        John & Kristi

Comment

John (and anyone else),

Please feel free to join us on Friday. We will be visiting the Stateline Mine and Gold Point, NV. The owner of Gold Point, NV is opening up the Saloon/museum for us for lunch, and the souvenir shop will also be open. We will be leaving camp at 8:30. It's about 70 miles from Wildrose campground to Mesquite Springs campground, so it will take about an hour and a half if you decide to join us.

Stateline Mine Cabin:

Gold Point, NV:

KI6MLU

Comment

Might run into ya'll. Ill be in Panamint 15th-19th.
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

John, I won't have a Jeep until the 19th. Dang-it! I wish you were going a little later...
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger, we'll just have to plan another trip in honer of the Great88........that trip to Sedona, AZ in May that Chris is planning looks pretty damn cool, haven't been there in years.........
                John & Kristi

Comment

LeAnne Might like that one for sure John! Keep us posted on Sedona
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

I'm going to try to break loose and join you on Friday. Are you taking RVs or tenting?

Mike
                    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

We'll be tenting, look for a Blue Jeep Rubicon with a black off-road trailer, big round orange tent, two dogs........we will be monitoring 2 meter simplex 146.550 and 147.480.
                      We might try and catch up to Russ and his group on Fri, dunno for sure. Sounds like a cool invite but kinda far from where we are camped.
                      Last edited by Nipple Twister; 04-10-11, 10:23 AM.
                      John & Kristi

Comment

Sounds Good, I'll let you know my final plans later in the week.

Report said an inch of snow at Wildrose yesterday and the road was closed past the kilns. Found this site for info:
                        http://www.maturango.org/DeathV.html

Mike
                        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

...thx for the update Mike, weather report looks very favorable from here on out so I'm saying it will be PERFECT by Thurs......sunny, light breeze, 70s +, cool enough at night to have a fire......yeee haaa......

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1&unit=0&lg=en
                          Last edited by Nipple Twister; 04-10-11, 12:35 PM. Reason: added link
                          John & Kristi

Comment

Yesterday White Top Mtn., Death Valley National Park

KI6MLU

Comment

Regular gas
                              Stovepipe Wells. 4.810
                              Panamint Springs Resort 5.229
                              Furnace Creek 5.549
                              Shoshone 5.049
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                              X