Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Sedona, Az Camping/Wheeling/Wine Drinkin - May 15

So the misses and I are new to Az and have been told numerous times by anyone we meet that we would really enjoy Sedona. We recently learned of wine tasting up there and figured this could be a great trip for the both of us as we both enjoy scenery, I enjoy the rocks, and she enjoys the wine okay okay... So do I. So here is our basic plan:

Leave out either late evening Saturday or early Sunday morning (from Phoenix area), this is flexible as I work till 6p on Saturday. We'll most likely camp our first night and devote the first day to wheeling and sight seeing. The next day we plan to enjoy some wine and relax, maybe do a little more wheeling depending upon how we feel. This is a Saturday (or Sunday) to Tuesday trip which I know is rough for most folks to make but we figure the crowds will be minimal and the peace nice. We're open to anyone and everyone that would like to join us and our two dogs for what we hope will be a great weekend.

We'll be going May 14 - 15/16th.
    Last edited by TipsE-Z; 05-05-11, 12:50 PM. Reason: Changed Dates Thanks To Work
    USMC F&AM

I won’t be going, but I do have one piece of advice - visit Barlow Jeep Rentals - http://www.barlowjeeprentals.com/
    No, you’re not going to rent from them, but they know the area well and are very supportive of other off-roaders. When I went there last year, the owner (Nina I believe) and one of the employees spent 45 min talking our ear off regarding what trails to run and what to see during our visit. They gave us a handful of maps; even offered use of the shop compressor to air up at the end of each day. Will be a good opportunity for you to meet other AZ wheelers. Enjoy your trip!
    Cliff

Comment

We just might meet you there. My wife and I are not into wine tasting, so that would be a good day to take her to Jerome.

Do you have reservations at a campsite yet? if so, which one?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

We don't have a campsite yet. We plan to book it closer to the end of the month it do something on a trail. We would be glad to have you guys join us though!
        USMC F&AM

Comment

I highly recommend two publications.

1) Charles Wells Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. Area 3 covers Flagstaff, Sedona, Cottonwood & Jerome. Trails 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 & 23 are all in the Sedona area. Wells gives you maps, directions and waypoints.

2) Verde Valley Area Recreational Map - Red Rock Ranger District. An excellent map of the backroads in and around the Sedona area.

I highly recommend visiting the Palatki and/or Honanki Ruins. There are some fun trails in the area of these ruins along with some spectacular scenery. If you want to disperse camp this is the area you will want to camp.

I suggest you run the Broken Arrow Trail. It is the signature trail in Sedona. You will have to dodge the Pink Jeeps but it is well worth spending 1/2 the day on the trail.
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

We plan to get the kindle version of the book of possible so we can access it from my phone. Broken Arrow is the first we plan to run.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

Just got back from there. Pm me if you want any trail recommendations or some good remote (free) cg's.

Comment

I'm always open, and prefer remote camping. I figure if your camping in a sub division of rv's then ways the point. I will pm soon. Trying to figure out my new phone. Hope you had a great trip our there. Maybe post some pics to entice others?
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Got my Wells Guide and after some reading this morning I've decided on a tentative route. We'll plan to hit 3 trails before we turn into town and enjoy some R & R of the slightly less primitive variety. We plan to head out Saturday evening around 7p to the start of Schenbly Hill Road at exit 320 and I-17, we will camp here for the night. Sunday morning we'll rise (likely around 6 or 7) to get breakfast going before heading down Schenbly, we'll take it into Sedona, fuel up and head out for Soilders Pass. Being as this is a trip focused more on scenery than wheeling I expect to take all day to do these two trails and will most likely camp again near the start of Broken Arrow or the end of Soilders Pass. Monday we'll set out to do Broken Arrow. I figure with the weekend crowds gone we should have maximum enjoyment on the areas most popular trail. After we've completed Broken Arrow we'll be heading back into Sedona for a night in town seeing what all the area has to offer. I'm looking forward to anyone joining us for what I think will be a great and relaxing trip. Due to camping along the route we'll need to get the Red Rocks Pass before we head out. You can find info on the pass at http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes...ts/index.shtml as well as camping info (which we are open to campground camping) at http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec..._redrock.shtml
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                    We plan to head out Saturday evening around 7p to the start of Schenbly Hill Road at exit 320 and I-17, we will camp here for the night.
                    Dispersed camping is allowed East of the Scnelby Hill Vista.

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                    Sunday will most likely camp again near the start of Broken Arrow or the end of Soilders Pass.
                    http://www.redrockcountry.org/images...ck-big-map.png
                    No dispersed camping at all anywhere near Broken Arrow or Soldiers Pass

The closest dispersed camping would be West of route 525 or East of of the Scnelby Hill Vista. If you plan on staying in town in an RV Park it might already be too late for reservations
                    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for keeping me posted. Back to partial drawing boards.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

We plan on going. I'm going to try to make motel Reservations. This won't be a cmping trip for us. We'll have to figure out where to meet each day. Tips E-Z, do I understand you correctly that you won't be to Sedona until Saturday night?
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger, as I recall there is a cheap motel on the north end of town, sign said $49. It looked ok to me, but my criteria are very low though. Super 8 headed toward Cottonwood is $90. It s a pricey town to stay in, even at the low end places. HTH.

Comment

Roger,

Our group stayed at the Sugarloaf Lodge in Sedona a couple of years ago (July 2008). It's a family owned and operated motel. It has a pool and BBQ area, and the rates were reasonable. It's on Hwy 89A and there are restaurants and supermarkets within a few blocks.
                            http://www.sedonasugarloaf.com/

Russ
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks you guys for the motel tips!
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...