Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Sunflower Mine and Rosevelt Dam

So this past weekend we finally got a chance to get in the Jeep and head out for a bit. The weather was a toasty 105, and a comfy 83 or so once in the hills north of Phoenix. We initially set out to to do some exploring around Apache Trail (fire road running along a river) looking for a back way to a cove on the lake. We didn't have much luck and opted for lunch (manifold burritos) on the beach at Lake Roosevelt. On our way home us, and Shawn (UPSJeep on AZVJC) opted to hit Sunflower to satisfy my 3 month need for rocks and belly scraping. We didn't get many pictures on the trail as we ( the misses and I ) were sunburned on opposing arms and thus not too excited to get out. We did about 8 water crossings, 2 waterfalls, and about 5 rock gardens. It was a great day to be out and about in the Jeep, one that ended with bed time at 8:45 on a Saturday.... Below are some pictures of our trip, if anyone is ever out this way we'd be happy to go have some fun.

Oh ya, the mine was still operational in the 70s.
    Here's some of the mine equipment and such

Roosevelt Lake and Dam

This is the river (Apache Trail) we followed up.

Peanut didn't seem to mind the sun, and is thankful of the cargo net. He no longer has such a high perch as I've removed the back seat and am building a trunk that sits flush with the wheel wells. (thanks to Scott AVJeepFreak) for the idea)

The only rock pictures we got, unfortunately they don't do the garden justice, several new places on the the drivetrain with shiny, newly polished metal.

Overall I had a great trip out! I know most of the folks here are in SoCal with with a MJR banner on every vehicle we own I expect/hope the Az membership grows.
    USMC F&AM

Chris,

Nice pictures and write up. Looks like you will have lots of new places to explore.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks, I think we do as well, and I'll let the misses know she's gotten some good comments on her photos. I drive, then I view the scenery later from her photos. I'll be sure to post em up on MJR for anyone ever passing through.
      Last edited by TipsE-Z; 04-07-11, 03:02 PM.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
      X