Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: TDS Ocotillo Wells: March 4-6, 2011

This was the fifth time I've attended the TDS Desert Safari, and this was the best one yet! The weather was perfect! The days were in the low 80s, and the nights were in the 50s, and the wind was very gentle (until Sunday afternoon). Winter is over and Spring is just around the corner! The Trail Bosses, Joey Holden and his sister, Amanda Holden are commended for a great job at planning the route. They wisely set up multiple green and red routes at the start of the run, which minimized the wait at any of the obstacles.

I arrived at about 4 pm on Friday and set up camp on Holly Road, about a quarter mile east of the headquarters area. I went through safety and registration at about 6 pm with no delay. The safety and registration were set up further apart this year, so there was less congestion in the area. I saw George (TDS SD) and Guenther at the Registration tent and saw them again on the trail. I exchanged some text messages with Erik (Nailer341) but I never met up with him during the weekend. I also saw Gerald at the Savvy Offroad display area. Michael (Pikeman) and his friend, Edwin arrived at the campsite shortly after 10 pm in the Toyota 4Runners. They just missed the close of registration by a few minutes. On Saturday morning, Michael and Edwin got up early and took their 4Runners through Safety and Registration. They got back to camp about 6:30am, and we took our vehicles to the lineup at the starting point. We hoped to get near the front and we were surprised to find that we were the eighth, ninth and tenth vehicles in the lineup!! The run started exactly at 8:00 am. There were multiple red and green routes, so by the time we reached Checkpoint 1, there were plenty of vehicles that had taken alternate routes and were ahead us, but there were seldom any lines at any obstacles, and at those obstacles, the lines were short.

At Checkpoint 1, ORW handed out M&Ms and a coupon with instructions to enter their raffle. Michael, Edwin and I took the red route through Chuck Norris' Playground. At Checkpoint 2 we took a break and picked up some water from ICON Vehicle Dynamics. Obama Notch was restricted to short wheelbase vehicles, so I took my Jeep TJ through while Michael and Edwin had to keep their 4Runners on the green route. This was the only obstacle where I had to wait for vehicles that were ahead of me. At Checkpoint 3, we took a break while we watched vehicles on Tower Hill. At Checkpoint 4, we enjoyed a free hot dog lunch provided by 4x4Him Christian Four Wheelers. We returned to headquarters via Bad Girls Bluff, finishing the run shortly after 1 pm. I heard on the radio that over 500 vehicles had been counted at the start point of the run. We visited the exhibit area, explored some of the Truckhaven Hills area, and attended the raffle, but we didn't win any raffle prizes.

Here are a few pics from Saturday's run. Michael's (Pikeman) 4Runner:

Edwin's 4Runner:

Start of Chuck Norris' Playground:

Mike and Edwin at Amanda's Notch:

On Sunday, Edwin and I ran the Pinyon Mountain Trail. His descent of Heart Attack Hill in a 4Runner was the scariest that I have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUp_wmnQzQ
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

More photos

I agree great trip. I made it up the new pipe and boulder obstacle twice with no stops.

Comment

Great trip and looking forward to next year. Weather was perfect and I left amazed at what a stock TJ is capable of. Just took off the sway bar, the hard way, and off we went, open diffs and all. Hit the side step on my Sahara on two occasions and no damage other than the skid plates got a work out.
      Only downfall on the Jeep was on the way home the Jeep Check Engine Light came on then started flashing. Most power was lost and could barely hit 60 mph if I got up to speed slowly. Code check turned out a code P0301 and this could have been mainy things. Being Sunday parts stores were already closed and thus I gambled and drove her home. She did it well even with a HORRENDOUS head wind through Palm Springs. Got her into my buddies shop today and found the coil pack was shot. Replaced it and she is purring like a kitty now.
      Can not wait until next year and no I did not when any raffle items.
      If any one from Tierra Del Sol 4x4 Club is reading this, great job and Thank You for all you do to keep our lands open!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
        On Sunday, Edwin and I ran the Pinyon Mountain Trail. His descent of Heart Attack Hill in a 4Runner was the scariest that I have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUp_wmnQzQ
        Dude! That ass-end lift at the top wasn't funny! I'm glad that Edwin didn't try the right side. That thing has become extra gnarly.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Here is a link to the Social Climber website for a TDS Trip Report and some photos. I concur with everyone else - it was a great event, with spectacular weather and a huge turnout. Thanks to all the TDS members and their efforts to make this weekend great.

http://socialclimbers4x4.com/blog/tr...sol-march-4-6/
          I spend most of my money on four-wheeling, the rest I just waste.

Comment

Some nice pictures Tom. Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry I had To miss it.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

[COLOR="blue"]Tom, did Ed break anything on his Jeep this year...I haven't talked to him in awhile.[/COLOR]

Comment

No, amazingly enough, Ed kept it in tact this trip. But there's a lot more trips coming...
                I spend most of my money on four-wheeling, the rest I just waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom (SuperCJ) View Post
                  No, amazingly enough, Ed kept it in tact this trip. But there's a lot more trips coming...
                  My shop in Riverside was next door to his. He used to do damage almost every time out at Truckhaven. Funny he always said it was your fault J/K LOL.

Comment

Mike he broke his drive shaft on that run we did at cougar butts. He said to say hello but I forgot to tell you.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Our 4 Runners love to lift the back end on downhills. Makes life exciting at times. I used my digital camera mounted to a suction mount on my passenger side window and took video. I just combined all of them and gives an idea of what a passenger would see.

Comment

Working...
                      X