Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 201103004-06 Dale mining district

a chance of a life time to hang with socals mine exploring rock stars "The Underground Explorers". this was not much of a wheeling trip although there was plenty of real world application of 4L and lockers to get where we wanted to go. the dale mining district, i learned, is a favorite among offroaders due to the miles and miles of trails. its full of old mine roads going to every hill top and basically traversing the landscape in almost every desirable direction. many of you may have seen previous mine exploring pictures that i have posted up... i can tell you that these guys would not get out of bed for all the places i have been put together. they measure mines by the hundreds of vertical feet and navigate them by sophisticated climbing gear and countless hours of first hand knowledge.

my first impression was that they were a very tight knit group, similar to a combat squads comradery . as we gathered around the frame head of the mine the next morning i soon found out why. this was serious business... safety and complete trust of each other was 110% of their daily routine.

we hit some beautiful terrain out there and the guys did some amazing mines. i did alot of watching but got in on the fun at the last mine where they taught me how to use there equipment and even let me try it out! the ability to look at something scary in a mine and do it safely is a really awesome feeling!

UE mobile command

UE morning warm ups aka toilet paper hacky sack

beautiful hand built mining roads

safety checks

Dave dropping

dave out of sight

Stacy after 7 hours under ground

beautiful!

Stacy going down

half way down

Mike heading down

this was a huge rock with alot of green mineral in it.

KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Wow that is cool, and sorta nuts for the unskilled uneducated folks like me!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Troy,

Looks like some fun guys to hang out with. Up top sounds like a good place to wait for them too

Comment

Troy, what is in the mines once you go down. Were there just tunnels or other mining relics down there.

Comment

the 275 one had some things still intact, but at one time even that mine had easy ladders decending the shaft, so there is not that much left in there. they said its when they find a very difficult way into a old section of a mine that they see the most relics. I can only image what difficult to them must mean lol. they do often find lots of neat stuff. they are the team that has the video of riding a ore chart at the 800 foot level in the columbia #2 mine

i thought they were nuts too untill i saw how the safty equipment works and the checks followed by rechecks. its a wild hobby they have but they deffinatly know what they are doing.
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Troy,

I've seen that video...........And they ARE nuts! :0

Comment

Wish they had videos of their exploring cause I will never see that first hand!

Mike
              "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Working...
              X