Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Cool Mine

Fixed it, see reply 4
    Last edited by Deepwater; 03-06-11, 04:12 PM. Reason: Picture links not working like they used to.
    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Hurry up with the pics!

Comment

Can't figure out how to post em. It's all changed.

Comment

Saturday was a good day to be wandering in the desert. Weather was great, desert was green, wild flowers were staring to bloom. Saw several patches of purple flowers on the I15 between Victorville and Barstow.

I came across this mine out in the Baker area in my wandering. Doesn't look like much from a distance but when you go inside it looks like it was being worked not to long in the past. Tracks in place as well as compressor pipe and ventilation ducting.

Structure and mine up on the hill

Waiting area just inside the entrance

Decisions, decisions

Very nice crystal cluster on the wall.

Attacked by flying squirrels!

Caution, reduce speed, no guard rails

Leading us into one of the glory holes with a ladder up into another chamber

Went around to the other side of the mountain and found evidence of the main camp since burned down.

There are a lot of workings on the upper part of this mountain although the rock structure is pretty fractured with evidence of prior ceiling collapses. This one is just waiting for a victim.

An Indiana Jones moment.

Now what was the weight bearing limit of a weathered 2x12?

Still more to explore, I'll wait until I have some company to wiggle down into this one. But it looks promising, big tailing pile.

On the way out.

Mike
        Last edited by Deepwater; 03-09-11, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Mike,

Great pictures and area. Hopefully you revisit within a month or so, cause I'd like to poke around out there too!

Mitch

Comment

Cool mine Mike, how old were the newspapers?

Comment

Deepwater, Your jeep looks formilar. Did you have a mishap in Calico last Thanksgiving? Your jeep looks like one my buddy met head on in the big whoops. Nice pictures, I need to get back out this way.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                Mike,

Great pictures and area. Hopefully you revisit within a month or so, cause I'd like to poke around out there too!

Mitch
                Lets do it!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                  Cool mine Mike, how old were the newspapers?
                  Because they looked very recent I didn't check the date. I was busy dodging bats.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                    Deepwater, Your jeep looks formilar. Did you have a mishap in Calico last Thanksgiving? Your jeep looks like one my buddy met head on in the big whoops. Nice pictures, I need to get back out this way.
                    No, wasn't out there then, glad I missed that one! All yellow wranglers look alike.

Now is a great time to be out this way, the desert isn't looking very desert like. So green and grassy.

Mike

Comment

Yeah my buddy kissed a yellow jeep at the peak of one of those big whoops, no serious damage just some scratches.

I hear you, the desert is awesome right now. We've been out exploring every weekend. Last weekend we were out by Edwards Southern fence line again. Let us know the next time your going out towards Baker.

Comment

Mitch and Deepwater, let me know when you plan to go back out....wife and I would love to see some of these

WYRD

Comment

Working...
                        X