Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: camping in big bear

gonna attempt john bull in summer and was looking to find a good campsite for 3 couples and dogs.
    can anyone suggest good campsites?

crab flats if you need toilets. thats pretty nice and fairly close to all the trails
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Crab Flats usually has a host in the main months too; which is nice if you're leaving your gear while making all day runs.

Comment

Big pine flat is closed for the winter. There is a Little known campground closer to the desert with bathrooms but no running water. It's off of 4n16 near the West end of the White mountain trail.

I think it's called Horsethief. I think....... It seems to be difficult to find info online.

Comment

I agree with Chris,
          Horse Thief is usually never crowded except during the fall hunting season. Even then, there's usually sites available. The elevation is a little lower so it's warmer at night.

I wouldn't advise motor homes or large trailers going there. It is way off the pavement!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Yup Horse Springs and not Horse theif as I was guessing. I have stayed there several times and been the only person or group there.

http://california.hometownlocator.co...campground.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              I agree with Chris,
              Horse Thief is usually never crowded except during the fall hunting season. Even then, there's usually sites available. The elevation is a little lower so it's warmer at night.

I wouldn't advise motor homes or large trailers going there. It is way off the pavement!
              Is this the spot that you have to drive down a rather steep hill to get to? If it is, I've camped there before and it is remote.

Comment

If it's available and you do like the little creature comforts of things like *HOT* showers... I would recommend taking a look at Serrano Campground.
                Regards,
                Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Thanks all, yeah we'll need some creature comforts as the "better halves" will unlikely be wheeling (especially john bull), and need to be dropped off somewhere!!
                  so we'll need a campsite near the road with toilets! [its hardly camping if you have a toilet ]

When i check the campsites on recreation.gov, there's too many to choose from.

Comment

Look on a SBNF map amd look at the capsites in the vicinity of John Bull. There's several to choose from.

Holcomb is nearby and probably has more to do for those not wheeling. There's lot's of historical stuff within walking distance of camp. It's also in a beautiful setting. The campground is in a nice stand of pines. Bring water though.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

I have always liked Serrano by the BB Discovery center. It is right by the lake and has a lot of great spots.

Comment

Working...
                      X