Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: KOH week report

OK nothing yet, but since i can not make it this year i'm expecting lots of reports and news and pics from my MJR friends ......steve

Maybe you should get your A$$ out there and check it out !!!!
    Gonna be so much bigger and better than last year. Miss your smiling face and your carne !!
    moon buggy
    5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Hey there Steve..How the heck is life treatin ya in them thar parts???Hope all,s well with you and yours! Geebo
      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

thanks geeb , things are good just miss wheeling ,might take up fishing until i find a new rig LOL

Comment

Sounds like a plan fishin lots of folks seems so boring..When I lived back east we went EVERY weekend for years.But once ya get a hit on yer line the heart starts pumpin with excitment..at least it always has for me..Lookin forward to your BIG fish tales..lol
          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

My report:
            I arrived at Boone Rd at 11:30 on Tuesday. Set up my trailer next to Harry & Helen Baker's motor home at the event entrance.
            The entrance is in about a mile in on Boone Rd.
            At noon, I went to work collecting the $10.00 donations from the people that drove in. I worked until 9:00 PM and took a nap until midnight. I worked again from midnight until 1:00 PM. I'm exhausted.

Out of the thousands of people I checked in, there were less than a dozen that refused to pay the $10.00 donation. And they were driving things like $100K motor homes with a rock buggy in tow that I don't know how much they had into! Or $50K F 350 crew cab 4x4's with 30' toy haulers and no telling how many toys inside! We would patiently explain that 10% of the gate fee is being set aside for the legal defense fund to save JV and the other 90% is to offset the cost of the new BLM requrements. Even some vendors and racers paid it even though they weren't asked to! Heck, even Walker Evans paid the donation.

The vedors were really great. Master Pull gave me a cool sweatshirt. Different vendors were sending food & drinks to us.

I met thousands of very nice folks from all over the state, the nation and the world:
            Every Italian news organization has press folks there. One guy jumped out and took photos of my CJ7. I'm sure when he got into Hammer Town he decided my POS wouldn't be published!

TV Crew from France.

There was a dad and his young son from Austrailia.

A group of four guys from the UK.

A couple from France.

There were license plates from just about every state. Four guys came in I guess about 3:30AM. They drove straight through from Michigan! They were exausted but they thought the 28F temperature was great compared to what they left in Mi.

If you are going to the race on Friday. I cant's stress enough to get there as early as possible. Get your sorry @$$ out of bed and be there by 5:00 AM. By 8:00 AM it will take over an hour to get from Hwy 247 to Hammer town!

I suggest you pay $10.00 for the 96 page program. It has a great map of the course in it. It's overlaid on a topo map so you can really tell the location of the race course.

All in all I had just the best time, and most of you know that there's no finer people than Harry & Helen Baker. The volunteer hours they put in is unbelievable!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

thanks roger ....if you dont mind keep posting

Comment

Steve might have some cool video later, from yesterday's qualifier. Freddy and me headed out there yesterday and had a fun day.
                We ran into Jeff and Robin also.

Comment

cool art looking forward to the video but of course would rather see your beast in action soon ....

Comment

Live feed here.

http://pirate4x4.com/king-of-the-hammers-2011/index.php
                    Build it right the first time.

Comment

First of, I forgot about the plug for Gerald from Savy. He had some nice goodies including his new buggie sitting at his site and off course the free and very nice T shirts were way cool. Thanks again Gerald.
                      For Steve here are 2 pics from Backdoor.
                      Later on we went to watch at Trapdoor which was pretty cool also, that thing is gnarly

Last edited by aw12345; 02-10-11, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        If you are going to the race on Friday. I cant's stress enough to get there as early as possible. Get your sorry @$$ out of bed and be there by 5:00 AM. By 8:00 AM it will take over an hour to get from Hwy 247 to Hammer town!

I suggest you pay $10.00 for the 96 page program. It has a great map of the course in it. It's overlaid on a topo map so you can really tell the location of the race course.
                        Hi Roger,

Just wondering if there are additional locations to donate inside Hammer town. I'll be coming from the base side along the border into Means from the south. I know last year they had a booth inside for it. Also, do you know if the vendors will still be setup on Saturday? My junk is in pieces in my driveway and have to finish assembly in the morning.

Thanks,
                        Mike
                        Last edited by lamar95x4; 02-10-11, 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

This was some of the fun at Trap Door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnOhioE4ajo

Comment

Originally posted by lamar95x4 View Post
                            Hi Roger,

Just wondering if there are additional locations to donate inside Hammer town. I'll be coming from the base side along the border into Means from the south. I know last year they had a booth inside for it. Also, do you know if the vendors will still be setup on Saturday? My junk is in pieces in my driveway and have to finish assembly in the morning.

Thanks,
                            Mike
                            Sorry I didn't get back to you. I worked another couple of shifts at the entrance.
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

I worked again at the entrance. I started at 4:00 or so Thursday afternoon until 11:30 PM.I caught some sleep on the couch in the Baker's motorhome until 5:30 AM this morning. I really enjoyed working with a group from Inland Empire 4 wheelers. Good people.

At 11:00 AM or so I went and got some breakfast and then off to watch the race. I went east from Means heading towards the Giant Rock/Los Padres Mine area. About a mile west of the top of the draw, I stopped to watch the first dozen or so going flying past me! I was pretty tired so I headed home. I took the long way home so to speak, I went towards Giant Rock and worked my way towards Hwy 247.

I was surprised I saw very few MJR People there. I know there were probably 20,000 people there so it wouldn't be difficult to miss them.

I did see Art & Fred, Scott (Dr Dirty), Sergio, and a few others whose names slip me now.

What a great week and now I'm ready to rest up!
                              Last edited by Roger; 02-11-11, 03:58 PM.
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X