Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Roughneck Rendezvous

Scheduling conflicts have kept me from spending time with some good friends down in San Diego. I had tentatively penciled in this weekend to meet them down In Ocotillo Wells at a geocaching event called "Roughneck Rendezvous" I was still at the shop Friday night at 8pm when I through some stuff in the WJ and headed down.

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area hosted the event. On Saturday morning they gave everyone coordinates to 105 new geocaches within the park. In each geocache was a piece to a puzzle and an informative card. The Informative trading cards contained information about: The History of Ocotillo Wells, The Geology of Ocotillo Wells, Reptiles found in Ocotillo Wells, Birds Found in Ocotillo Wells, Mammals found in Ocotillo Wells, Creepy Crawlers (Insects) found in Ocotillo Wells, The Oil History of Ocotillo Wells, The OHV History of Ocotillo Wells, Plants found in Ocotillo Wells and the importance of Treading Lightly in Ocotillo Wells.

A sample of one of the informative cards:

The informative trading cards are fabulous.

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area also set up "Hands on Kiosks" throughout the park. They were like mini museums.

A badger and a coyote at this kiosk

This was the Geology Kiosk

Fossils at this kiosk

Kiosk staff member talking about the Gas Domes

The kiosks were fantastic.

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area has erected hundreds of informational signs throughout the park.

I really enjoyed all the informative signs and the history of the area.

Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area had the grand opening of their new Discovery Center. Similar to the Big bear Discovery center but much smaller.

We ran Campbell Wash. I had never been in this part of the park and it is a great trail. I highly recommend it.

A couple of the guys did some hill climbs

This was a pretty cool offroad trailer parked near the main camp

My camp

I had a great time. I have been to Ocotillo Wells many time but never enjoyed it as much as I did this weekend.
    Last edited by FishPOET; 01-30-11, 05:44 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

I love it out there! Looks like you had a great time.

Comment

That looks like a fun and informitive run. Learning is a good thing. The white truck coming down that hill on 3 wheels is flippin scary looking. Crap!

Thanks Doug

Comment

I don't have a setup for on the roof, but nice to see fellow tent campers!! When I took my son down for NYE; I think I was the only tenter there!!

Comment

That RTT is awesome... Any details on it?
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
            That RTT is awesome... Any details on it?
            It is an Authome Overland Medium
            http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/overland.php

I bought it used off Expo.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks for the Link
              Head nut at Outdoorlogic
              Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
              www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Working...
              X