Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: New To Az, Need To Wheel

So I'm hoping to get with some of my MJR family in Arizona on the 5th to wheel a bit before I'm stuck in a rental car for 3 weeks. I don't know any of the trails in the area, but I would love to hear recommendations from any and all that know the area.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting a few more in my MJR family.
    USMC F&AM

The only trail I have run in AZ is Crown King. It was a lot of fun, expecially the extra credit lines.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Difficulty rating? I'm on a mission to wheel twice a month once I get there until I start my build.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

It's moderate. It's mostly easy but it's about 25 miles from pavement to pavement. When I was there they were beginning to grade the shelf-road at the top. We were glad to see it because it was getting narrow. There are some cool climbs. We took a nearly stock 85 4Runner and a 95 YJ with 2.5 inches of lift and 31s. A lot of the tuff stuff is optional.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Sounds great! I'll be checking it out for sure! If I have at least two more Jeeps with me I'll try the extra credit, otherwise I suppose it's best to pass.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
            Sounds great! I'll be checking it out for sure! If I have at least two more Jeeps with me I'll try the extra credit, otherwise I suppose it's best to pass.
            You should never wheel alone. Scott ran this trail and still needed his ham radio at one point if I remember correctly. Again if I remember correctly, somebody was low on fuel and they weren't sure of a marked trail and getting back to pavement so they contacted somebody to see if it was best to turn back or keep going. Even with a ham radio (assuming you're licensed), you still shouldn't run trails alone!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Doesn't matter how many rigs you have with you if you are lost. I’ll never rely solely on a GPS again. Always have a ham radio and a paper map.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Paper map yes, and I've thought about picking up another HT and (worst case) using my old call sign in an emergency. I'm hoping to get my no code tech again once I get situated here in Chandler.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Just get an HT and carry it with you. Most of the repeaters are 70cm in that area but there is good 2m coverage. In an emergency you can use whatever band you need to weather you are licensed or not.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Hey Chris, I recommend the Charles Wells book on Arizona trails. He writes about the easy to extreme trails and rates them fairly well.

My favorite area in AZ so far (based on VERY little experience) is the Florence Junction area.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X