Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Nightmare Gulch - last run of the season

My family and I are headed up to Nightmare Gulch this Sunday. It's the last run opportunity until next fall (due to seasonal closures). Looking for a few folks to join in. Might exit out Last Chance, or might head up to Dutch Cleansor mine out to Hwy 14. Will play it by ear when we get there.

Photo from this same time frame last year:
    (but it will be dry this time darn it)
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

I want to go, but I need to check with the wife first. I'm sure she will ok with me getting out of her hair for a day. I have no clue where this is but I've heard good things about this area. How about us meeting up Sunday morning and we caravan out there?
    P.S. I still don't have lockers....

Comment

Hey Al! It would be good to see you again. You won't need lockers for this trail. Google "Cantil, CA" and you'll see the general area. I'll be taking the 91 to the 5 north. We can meet somewhere along the 5, or at Jawbone Station in Cantil. Jawbone is the BLM "friends of Jawbone" structure a few miles further up the 14 than the gas station. Can't miss it. I plan on getting there around 10am, 10:30 if the kids are moving slow. It's a 3 hour drive, but very much worth it.

Photos of past trips:
      http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Jeep-Adven...aregulch-2010/

http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Jeep-Adven...ghtmare-Gulch/

http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Jeep-Adven...-MJR-Dec-2008/

TreadLightly Trainer
      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I am in, woohoo first trip in CA! My Jeep is in Lancaster, so, meet at the Jawbone store just before the entry gates to the BLM area, right?

Also, I have a BDS lift with VERY stiff springs, so I'll be using this to hopefully flex them out and loosen them up!
        310x409x7973
        -Rob.

Comment

Nathan,

I just saw this and cant fit more than a few hours local on Sunday. Saturday is a comitted long day. Sorry, would have been fun.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch, my wife's got another job, we are keeping the Jeep, there will be another time!

Doc, look forward to having you there around 10 am at Jawbone Station, which is the little BLM building a couple miles east of the gas station. We'll flex up those springs nice.

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Mitch, my wife's got another job, we are keeping the Jeep, there will be another time!

Doc, look forward to having you there around 10 am at Jawbone Station, which is the little BLM building a couple miles east of the gas station. We'll flex up those springs nice.

TreadLightly Trainer
              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                Crap... Forgot I said I would help my roommate move her stuff back up to NorCal... Won't be able to make it. ARG! She just reminded me...

Comment

I checked with the wife, I'm in......

Comment

Bummer Doc! Great Al!

Forecast is actually calling for rain in Randsburg. That's awesome. Trail is so much more fun then. This is definitely a rain or shine event.

TreadLightly Trainer
                    HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Nathan,
                      I found Jawbone Canyon Store on Google Earth. Would that be the same as Jawbone Station? If so, I'll meet you there at 10:00 tomorrow. Looking forward to it....

Comment

Originally posted by the_al_mighty View Post
                        Nathan,
                        I found Jawbone Canyon Store on Google Earth. Would that be the same as Jawbone Station? If so, I'll meet you there at 10:00 tomorrow. Looking forward to it....
                        I don't think its the same, but it's right nearby. The store has the gas station. Jawbone Station is a just a few miles further up the road.

Here is a Google Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...5795a5a10&z=13

Looks like this:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Hello all,

I'm new to Jeeps and have been waiting for an available weekend to take my Jeep out. This run to Nightmare Gulch looks fun and doable with my Jeep. If OK with you guys, I'd like to meet you at Jawbone Station.

I've got a '99 TJ (Gunmetal Pearl) with 4" lift, ARB rear locker and Super 35 kit, 33' BFG AT's, CB, and some other upgrades.

I'm coming from La Habra, heading up the 5. I'll have my CB on Channel 4 which seems to be a standard off roader's channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_99TJ View Post
                            Hello all,

I'm new to Jeeps and have been waiting for an available weekend to take my Jeep out. This run to Nightmare Gulch looks fun and doable with my Jeep. If OK with you guys, I'd like to meet you at Jawbone Station.

I've got a '99 TJ (Gunmetal Pearl) with 4" lift, ARB rear locker and Super 35 kit, 33' BFG AT's, CB, and some other upgrades.

I'm coming from La Habra, heading up the 5. I'll have my CB on Channel 4 which seems to be a standard off roader's channel.
                            You'll be fine, specially with 33 foot tires!

I'll keep Channel 4 open on the way up. Allow 3 hours to get there from La Habra. 5 to 14 all the way. If you pass Inyokern you've gone too far :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Trip Report here:
                              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...196#post184196

TreadLightly Trainer
                              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
                              X