Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Cougar Buttes

We are meeting at Hwy 247 and Camp rock rd. at 9:30 saturday morning.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Curtis have a blast out there! And thanks again for such a great run the last time. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable day out there on Saturday. I'm headed out to Az for the new job.
    Last edited by TipsE-Z; 01-27-11, 10:53 AM. Reason: Moving Plans Changed
    USMC F&AM

Comment

Chris good luck on your new job. I may end up in AZ one of these days. Nice place to live.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        Chris good luck on your new job. I may end up in AZ one of these days. Nice place to live.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. IF you do end up out there maybe by then I'll know my way around and be able to repay the favor of leading an incredible day of wheeling.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          We are meeting at Hwy 247 and Camp rock rd. at 9:30 saturday morning.
          Just curiuos curtis, whats your view on difficult?
          Body damage approach angles? Some say its difficult and others would say its easy or mild. I have never hit this trail but a buddy, Reedster has and i think he liked the run.

Thanks Fred

Comment

Oh, you are killing me. The last run was too much fun out there, but I can't make it this time. Have fun!!

Comment

InlandZJ, We are a bunch of guys who love to go out and wheel.

We will never put you in any kind of harm to you or your vehicle. But this is a bunch of guys with well equipped jeeps and driving skills.

If you don't have lockers and 33" tires this might not be the run for you.

We do runs where we take the new to the sport people and try to help them learn.

You are more than wecome to join us, but if we feel that you should not do a obstacle there are bypasses.

Comment

Thanks curtis very well put then maybe one of these runs that does not require lockers i could come and hang. You think alot of it is driving ablility?
                I'll have to catch up with you guys some other time. Oh and i'm on 33's but not locked but i have an E-brake : )

Fred
                Last edited by InlandZJ; 01-27-11, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Inland ZJ- I don't know what they are running, so it's hard to comment on how you'd do. I think the longer wheelbase rigs do better on some of the stuff out there than the shorter rigs, so you might be alright. Like Curtis said there are bypasses on most of the stuff.

The first time I was out there with Amber and Levi and we skipped a bunch of stuff but still had a great time. I'd recommend that you head out and check it out. I think you'll do pretty good. My first time I was open/open with 31s and did a lot of stuff and had a great time. With your 33s you should be able to do even more.

I think we're heading to the San Diego Zoo, otherwise I'd love to head out. I was with Curtis two weeks ago and he was a great guide, it was a great group of people and I had a great time. Yes, it really was that great.

Edit: I just noticed that this isn't a run to show novice's the area, so maybe Curtis has something more in mind and you might want to heed his advice. Oops.

~R

Comment

Fred - I ran this with 31's, open and a 2 1/2 inch lift. And, I'm new to the sport. Curtis said there are bypasses. I took some bypasses and watched to learn. I got hung up once or twice too. My advice: PM Curtis and see what he says. Its not only a TON of fun, but Curtis laid out the trails to boot. PLUS, I learned a bunch by observing.

Comment

InlandZJ, with 33's and rock rails you can make most of the cougar buttes trails. So come on out and go for it. Like has been said there are bypasses.

Comment

I'm finally feeling better, see you, there, Kevin

Comment

Inland ZJ -- Just to echo what has been said already:

Curtis is a great guide and knows this area very well. I'm in a similar boat as Red Barron... Open diffs, 31s and a 2" shackle lift (he has me as he has a real lift). I did get hung up a few times trying to take the "Big Boy Path" but was quickly drug out of the way by those around me. (By the way guys, I did indeed sign my own tow strap when I got home)

My opinion, you'd be fine. But I agree with what's already been said, lockers would be great, 33s are good, and driving skill I'm sure would help. Now that I realize how repetitive this is getting I'm going to shush and say "Have fun and be safe out there guys"
                          USMC F&AM

Comment

Hey Curtis. I'm thinking about bringing out some more stakes on Saturday and doing some trail marking. On the Rocks especially. A couple weeks ago it looked like most of the ones I put in last year were gone. I don't mind doing it again if I get a little help, and you think it's worth our time. What do ya think?
                            Ron G

Comment

Had fun last time, I'll be there!
                              "I started out with nothing and still have most of it left."

Comment

Working...
                              X