Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Some snow fun near Big Bear.

My girlfriend wanted to see the snow. So we went up 3n14. Took a round about way around Oak Springs to find an old mine. It was pretty borring so no pics of that.

Got back on 3n14, turned left on 3n16 heading towards Holcomb Valley.

Got a few miles in and the snow started to get a little deep for my little generic Jeep so I started looking for a road that would lead to the Fawnskin area.

Took a road and after a couple of miles came to a Chevy truck blocking the road and a Suburban stuck in a snow drift. I guess they had been there a few hours trying to get him unstuck w/o anything to pull him out with. I lent the truck my strap and he pulled the Suburban out.

The 3 of us started heading back to 3n16.

We came across this. This guy gives tours in a 6wd Sweedish military truck. 6wd and bald tires don't do snow well.

We got about 20 people unloaded from it and I was able to pull him out of the ditch.

A minute later the girl in the Green Forestry truck slid into the same ditch.

She thought that she could drive her state supplied 4x4 Blazer with well worn street tires out. After a few minutes of us watching her drive back and forth in the same place and getting no where she allowed me to pull her out.

The person in the line of fire if the strap broke was there to help get the strap tight. They were out of the way when I pulled. I had to take a couple of pulls to get her out.

Now with everybody out of the ditch the Chevy truck, Suburban and I headed out.

The tour guide gave us a free pass to ride on a tour for pulling him out. I think were going to do that when it's a little warmer.
    Last edited by chris142; 01-22-11, 09:03 PM.

Kind of ironic that the Swedish military truck has "Search and Rescue" on the side.

Nice trip.

Comment

Good job Chris! We heard today in the Big Bear Meeting that 3N14 is closed to Fawnskin due to trail conditions and snow. Good thing you turned around when you did. Glad ytou had fun.

Mitch

Comment

3n14 is closed @ big pine flat campground but 3n16 towards Holcomb Valley was open. Thats where this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
          Kind of ironic that the Swedish military truck has "Search and Rescue" on the side.

Nice trip.
          Lol! Good one and the ranger with bald tires. Thats another one for the jeepers. People dont see the good things people in the offroad community do alot of the times but are quick to blame or point the finger at us

Comment

looks like a perfect day out there. how did that ranger end up in the ditch? lol its flat...did she pull over to the side to let another car by?
            i read about that tour guy before. always neat to think people would pay to be driven to the places we go all the time. if i didnt have a truck id be one of the people in the back of that thing for sure!
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

That road has a little tilt to it. She was backing up and it just slid right in. The more she steered away from it the faster it went in.

I'm going to take the free tour anyway. Maybe I will learn something that I didn't know.

Comment

Great write-up Chris! I am surprised how ill-equipped the FS truck is. In some forests they have real M/S tires and winches on their trucks. You just proved that even stock Jeeps out perform other 4x4 vehicles!
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Oh she was prepared with a handfull of motorcycle tie downs I'm pretty sure that most of us have seen how well tie downs do when used as a tow strap.

Comment

Working...
                  X