Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Corral Canyon OHV Area & Jacumba Mountains

[CENTER]Corral Canyon OHV Area & Jacumba Mountains: Jan, 15&16th 2011[/CENTER]

Well it turned out to be a great weekend spend with friends as well as a few folks from Arizona along with dzJeepChic who had me show them a few of our local trails. We had beautiful weather and scenery, fun trails and a bit of carnage.

YouTube - Corral Canyon OHV Area: Part I

YouTube - Corral Canyon OHV Area (and Jacumba Mts): Part II

Here's the video I got of us recovering a Bronco that had rolled off the side of the shelf-road going down the mountain from the OHV Area.

YouTube - Recovery of Rolled Vehicle at Corral Canyon OHV Area: Jan. 2011

Sat. January 15th, 2011: Corral Canyon OHV Area

Bobcat Meadows Campground

Meeting up at Four Corners.

Starting in on Sidewinder.

One of the TJ's busted his rear drive shaft.

On our way to Bronco Peak.

A bit of rock rash.

Plenty of rocky obstacles along the way.

Of course I spent some time cleaning up after the previous campers...

Sun. January 16th, 2011: Jacumba Mountains

Airing up along the old shooting range.

U.S./Mexican Border

Heading up the mountain.

Parked at one of the peaks to take in the views.

Heading up Elliot Mine with Valley of the Moon in the background.

Checking out the mine.

Modern petroglyph.

Parked for lunch.

View of I-8 from Mountain Springs Stagecoach Trail.

This was one the first official routes into San Diego.

Spring along the trail.

Old ruins. Sheep pens I think.

To think this was all build using just hand tools.

A good time was had by all! Looks like I'll need to replace a few springs before I get out on the hard stuff again, though.

Comment

Man I do love that area. Specially after or during a good rain storm. So how in the HELL did that guy break that drive shaft like that? Never seen that before.
      Thanks for the pics and report. Gotta get down there again soon.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
        So how in the HELL did that guy break that drive shaft like that? Never seen that before.
        Too much skinny pedal. Took a bad line, started hopping and bam!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Great report, I've been wanting to do the Sidewinder trail for some time now. Is there a back side (south) way up to Elliot mine?[/COLOR]

Comment

Nice pics. Did Sidewinder a while back, fun trail. Also did the Stagecoach trail, but we were just exploring not knowing anything about it, just kinda stumbled on it.
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Great report! Need to get down there soon. Maybe the next time it rains.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

It was an awesome weekend thanks to BorregoWrangler for showing us 'Zonies' around. I'm just unpacked and going to go through pics & post some soon.

The whole area was nice to visit. We camped at Lake Morena & met up everyday nearby. Kind of cool to discover how close SOCAL really is, not a long drive at all.

Thanks for the neighborly kindness BorregoWrangler!

d
                Diane
                SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

Nice report. I miss that area from the old Los Coyotes days. I like the campground.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                    [COLOR="Blue"]Great report, I've been wanting to do the Sidewinder trail for some time now. Is there a back side (south) way up to Elliot mine?[/COLOR]
                    Kind of. There's two ways to get into there. The north side, just past the Border Patrol checkpoint, off Old Highway 80 and the west side where people used to go shooting along the side of the mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
                      Kind of. There's two ways to get into there. The north side, just past the Border Patrol checkpoint, off Old Highway 80 and the west side where people used to go shooting along the side of the mountain.
                      [COLOR="Blue"]Thanks, it looks like a good place to visit sometime.[/COLOR]

Comment

Great report. Going to add it to the list. Thanks
                        Check out .

Comment

Nice write up and pics....wow. And to think I know this whole area, but you make it look so much better! Have you tried the Superstition mountains? Has some good challenges.
                          BobO
                          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                            Nice write up and pics....wow. And to think I know this whole area, but you make it look so much better! Have you tried the Superstition mountains? Has some good challenges.
                            BobO
                            I have been to Superstitions a few times. I like how there's such a variety of terrain out there. I think the only route I haven't done out there is Knock-On-Wood.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X