Clear All

F.Y.I. know where you are at....

From the San Bernardino County Sun:
    http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_17286438

Quote:
    Live-ammo exercises bring Marine warning to race fans
    By Wesley G. Hughes Staff Writer
    Posted: 02/03/2011 05:07:46 PM PST

TWENTYNINE PALMS - Don't go wandering around without your GPS if you plan on attending the King of the Hammer off-road vehicle races in Johnson Valley Sunday through Saturday.

That's the advice of Capt. Nicholas C. Mannweiler, spokesman for the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center here. He says the base and the race area are adjacent and he's heard estimates of 60,000 fans at each of the last two Hammers. And people have been known to wander onto the base by accident.

The Marines will be using every inch of the base right up to the edge during live-ammo exercises being held during the races, the captain says.

They do it all the time, Mannweiler says but not always with 60,000 party animals next door. The Marines use everything from M-16 carbines, machine guns, tanks, air-dropped bombs, mortars and howitzers.

The exercise called Enhanced Mojave Viper is conducted at the Twentynine Palms base 11 times a year because "This is the only base (big enough) where we can get air, ground, logistics and command elements together at the same time.

"A 155mm howitzer has a kill radius of 50 meters and can wound in a radius of 100 meters," Mannweiler says. And that's from a distance of 15 to 25 miles.

A meter is just more than one yard, so if a 155 round hits in the middle of a football field, it can kill you if you are standing in the end zone and probably 10 or 12 rows up in the good seats - on both sides.

If you just scored a touchdown and you are doing your victory dance, a 155 landing in the opposite end zone can send you to the hospital with major wounds.

Ninety percent of all U.S. Marines preparing for deployment to the Afghanistan War train here and they train with live ammo just like they use in real combat. Keep that in mind.

"We've found people on the base who are lost," said Mannweiler. "Being lost in the desert is bad. Being lost in the desert with artillery . . ." the sentence drifted off.

Summing it up, Mannweiler said, "We want you to respect the lethality of our weapons."

Yes sir.

Comment

Brian G Hughes,

Please respect the public on public lands and don't endanger us. Off-roaders, common sense says "Don't ever trespass on a military installation". It is clearly marked, and GPS won't tell you anything!

Thanks Mike for the info.

Mitch

Comment

If you cant make it out there this might be useful. Click on the current day of the week & you can catch the live footage.

http://pirate4x4.com/king-of-the-hammers-2011/index.php
        Build it right the first time.

Comment

I am still trying to decide where to watch the race from and I was wondering if anyone know when the 2011 course map will be released? I read somewhere that they are not running sludge hammer, does anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks
          Chris

Comment

Try http://ultra4racing.com/
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I went out there saturday and sunday and hung out with (tagged a long with) Gerald, It's more than a little impressive and the carnage has already started with blowing out ring gears etc on back door(? I think it's called) I'm driving out saturday night and probably staying until sunday. See if I can get up any of those hills now that I'm locked and geared down.

Last edited by ocTJ; 02-07-11, 08:12 PM.
              Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

I'm leaving for KOH in a few hours. I'll be taking shifts working in the entrance booth. I'll be working on & off through Thursday. So stop by and say hi. Don't forget to bring your $10.00 donation!

I'm going to try to monitor 146.550 and the Big Bear repeater if possible depending on where the booth is located.

My wife and Mary (Skittles) worked the booth yesterday and said law enforcement is extreemly heavy this year. They've even set up an impound yard for vehicles without green stickers. So pass the word to others going that their bikes, quads, and side-by-sides need to have current green stickers. FYI - They are for sale at the booth.

See you there and be safe!
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Leanne & I had a blast yesterday welcoming all to the Hammers. (We loved taking the $$ too) So go on out and see for yourselves. It will be a great week with lots to see. I plan on going back Thursday & Friday. See ya there.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

I looked on the site and found the LCQ map, but I was wondering if they had Friday's map out yet? Are they doing the same course as the LCQ?

Thanks,
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by explorer1 View Post
                      I looked on the site and found the LCQ map, but I was wondering if they had Friday's map out yet? Are they doing the same course as the LCQ?

Thanks,
                      Chris
                      It will Not get posted. Must buy it.
                      *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

you need to search around a bit and you can find the coords. Long story short... its a lapped race. Lots of desert with half as much rock crawling sections, yet they have to do it twice so equals out. Second lap, from hammertown they go UP, yes UP backdoor/resolution then continue the same first lap. Should be an interesting race. My guess is that only %33 finish
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Backdoor has already started breaking some things, that first obstacle is tricky
                          Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Does anyone know if they will be running wrecking ball?

Comment

Here's what they have on Pirate as far as the course goes:
                              http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=954540

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                                My guess is that only %33 finish
                                47 finished in the allotted 14 (yes, 14) hours. I understand that 3 finished after the the time limit. This is a better rate than in 2010 when 43 finished in the allotted time, with 2 after the time limit.

Roger was a rock at the gate. He is a traffic direction maestro!

Mary & LeAnn were the bomb. All the guys liked having a blonde (Mary) and a redhead (LeAnn) help them put on their wristbands.

Helen Baker

Comment

Working...
                                X