Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Anza-Borrego on a whim...

It's been an interesting weekend.

I had to work Saturday in Redlands. I took the Jeep to work thinking that after work I might go exploring. As I got to work, I heard some disturbing noises coming from the transfer case. After work, I caught a ride home, got the truck and flat towed the Jeep home.

My TeraLow T/C pretty much ate itself into pieces. Thank goodness this happened at home and not last week in DV.

Rat Patrol called and offered to help. I had the old/original T-Case housing so we retro-fitted the T-Case to stock condition.

Sunday morning we finished it up and, of course, we HAD to test it. We headed south to Anza-Borrego. Kurt hasn't wheeled in the area before so this was a great opportunity to show him some of the cool stuff in the area.

We had a REALLY late start, but we got to the Pinyon Mtn Trailhead by NOON-ish:

I found that I had a small leak around the front output yoke in the T/Case. We re-used the seal because I was hoping to wait until I talk to TeraLow before I invest any money into the T/C change. It leaked, but not too badly to bail on the trip.

Pinyon Mtn is a long trail with 4 notable obstacles. The Squeeze is the first one encountered:

The Rock Garden follows, but I didn't get any photos because I was fighting with my 4WLow. The Jeep wouldn't stay in 4 Wheel Low without holding the shift lever. In a manual Jeep, this ain't going to work for long.

We soon found ourselves at Heart Attack Hill. Kurt went first:

I wasn't excited about going down the Hill without 4WLow. I spent a little time under the Jeep adjusting the linkage. I happened to look up and notice that I had a great view from under the Jeep for such a cloudy day:

I got the linkage to work better, but it still wasn't quite right, so I headed down in 4WHigh:

I made it with no issues. In fact, the Hill was much easier than I remembered.

We worked our way across the remainder of Pinyon Mtn towards Fish Creek Wash:

Once we got to the wash, we faced our last real obstacle before reaching the smoother and flater path towards Ocotillo Wells:

At this obstacle, I couldn't make the climb in 4WHigh. Mr. Green just kept bogging down. So, I held the shifter in 4WLow while climbing the falls. I noticed that the shifter 'clicked' into place halfway up and stayed there without issue afterwards.

After getting to the easier trek down Fish Creek Wash, we made good time towards Sandstone Canyon. The cloudy sky and the sun setting made for some great views:

I've always heard the Sandstone Canyon was an easy trail with some great scenery. even though it was late in the day, I wanted to go take a look. The trail didn't disappoint:

The walls of the canyon are massive!:

Far before the expected end of the trail, we found a major rock fall blocking most of the trail. This fall probably is a result of all the earthquakes in the area recently. Kurt saw tracks going across the far right side of the fall and decided to give it a try:

It is a seriously high chance for body damage obstacle:

I wasn't going to be left behind, so I was next to tackle the boulders. Unfortunately, my camera had issues with the fading light:

At this point, my main worry was damaging my hard doors:

We went a ways further and found another rock fall. It was not so severe, but it had no tracks, light was fading, and the sky was starting to open up with some rain. At this point, we decided that we definitely need to plan a return trip!:

The rain started falling harder and the light faded fast as we made our way back across the tough rock fall:

Regardless of the rain and darkness, we made our way to the exit of the Diablo Drop Off. We climbed to the top of the Drop Off with rain falling lightly. At the top of the hill, the last fading light accented the storm rolling through. Too bad the camera could not capture the low light views!

We dropped back down to Fish Creek Wash and drove out through Split Mountain to the pavement. After catching a great dinner in Borrego Springs, we headed back home late in the evening.

It was a long day on the trail, but it was well worth it. I have forgotten how much I really enjoy wheeling in the Anza-Borrego area.

A BIG thank you to Rat Patrol for the help with the transfer Case!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Nice trip Mike, also you should have no problem with Terra, they took care of mine with no problem or hassles. Had to wait for it for awhile since they claim they improved the gear sets in the transfercase.
    Mine failed due to improper loading of the 5 satellite gears in the planetary, which they claimed they have resolved. In short they fixed it and renewed the waranty.
    Still the thing is pretty tough, I screwed mine up During the King of the Hammers, then wheeled it for 3 more months wuth the thing getting louder and louder the last time I drove it It made it home From Big Bear under really loud duress, could not turn the radio up high enough to drown it out. Made it home though without any problems

Comment

Vicariously

Having wrenched on my own rig and not being able to get out this weekend was a bummer...but, seeing your great pics gave me and my jeep something to look forward to!!! Thanks!

Comment

I have been wondering if anybody has made it through sand canyon since the earthquake.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          I have been wondering if anybody has made it through sand canyon since the earthquake.
          And now you know! There were some old tracks past the rock fall but they were pretty old. We're going to go back and explore further back; you should come with us.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
            And now you know! There were some old tracks past the rock fall but they were pretty old. We're going to go back and explore further back; you should come with us.
            Just say when! I'M There.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Nice trip Mike, also you should have no problem with Terra, they took care of mine with no problem or hassles. Had to wait for it for awhile since they claim they improved the gear sets in the transfercase.
              Mine failed due to improper loading of the 5 satellite gears in the planetary, which they claimed they have resolved. In short they fixed it and renewed the waranty.
              Still the thing is pretty tough, I screwed mine up During the King of the Hammers, then wheeled it for 3 more months wuth the thing getting louder and louder the last time I drove it It made it home From Big Bear under really loud duress, could not turn the radio up high enough to drown it out. Made it home though without any problems
              Your right about Teraflex Art. I called them today and mine is still under warranty. I have to email them pics, and then they will arrange for a replacement.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

One of the Toyota Groups I belong to goes to AB every year in November. Last year they had blocked the end off so it is now a down and back. I missed this years run but they posted about the two new big wall collapses. Still a great view and nice to hike when you have time.

Comment

That is a seriously long day trip!
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                    That is a seriously long day trip!
                    Nathan,
                    That is not a long day trip. Try getting up at 4am to drive to Death Valley to run one stinking trail; Isham Canyon. Then play around on some other trails then drive home that night. I don't remember what time we got home but I'm pretty sure that was an 18 hour day trip. And I'm sure that won't be the longest at the rate we are going.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Well, if you want to do it again as an overnighter, I'm interested. I like AB, but don't know it all that well, only been Upper and Lower Coyote Canyon's, San Felipe Wash, Broken Shaft Gulch at the bottom of Diablo Drop-Off (way over-rated), Oriflame Canyon, and one of the sandy washes near the Wall Street sign, that contains the fun Mud Caves. There's lots more to explore there, but here are some shots of areas I've been:

San Felipe Wash:

Upper Coyote Canyon

Lower Coyote Canyon:

Not sure of the name of this canyon:

Oriflame Canyon

TreadLightly Trainer
                      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]The deep canyon is the end of Sandstone Cyn. This might be closed to vehicle travel even beyond the 2 rockslides.

The trail used to go another mile past the turn around point.[/COLOR]

Comment

Maybe we need to find out.(SOON)
                          Last edited by curtis; 12-06-10, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                            [COLOR="Blue"]The deep canyon is the end of Sandstone Cyn. This might be closed to vehicle travel even beyond the 2 rockslides.

The trail used to go another mile past the turn around point.[/COLOR]
                            Sandstone Canyon, that sounds right. Thanks Mike. Yeah, I was bummed to see this sign:

The photo of the canyon without any Jeeps in it that I posted is just beyond that sign. Here is what I wrote on my photo description:
                            "Your tax dollars being wasted. This canyon was open to vehicle traffic for 80 years, without any tangible signs of abuse or wear, so naturally it's been closed to prevent future generations from enjoying it."

Here's my group walking through that portion of the canyon:

And what's beyond as it opens back up a bit. Ultimately its a dead end box canyon, but it's pretty cool nonetheless:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Hey Mike, Great pics and write up. Are those new Wrangler MTRs on Mr Green?

Comment

Working...
                              X