Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Anyone Ran/Heard of this area

http://maps.google.com/?source=frien...neral+Store%29

Has anyone ever wheeled up here or even heard of it? I've been told this would be a good area to wheel, and it looks like fun on Google Earth but obviously Google Earth isn't the most detailed.

Input?
    USMC F&AM

[COLOR="Blue"]This area is in the Sequioa NF and is a designated OHV - mostly motercycle trails - though there many easy forest roads.

There are 2 notable Jeep trails; one is the Sherman pass trail - rated black diamond - and the other is Monanche meadows - rated easy/moderate.

The area is very scenic and worth checking out. There are several campgrounds in the area. The little town of Kernville is just to the west on the Kern river. A great area for a weekeng get away in the summer. Sherman Pass is right at 10,000 ft and is usually closed in the winter months.

Kennedy meadows is on the route that goes across the mountain from 395 to the Kern River.

Some pix of the Sherman pass trail.[/COLOR]
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I think I know where I'll be heading this summer then for the Fourth
      USMC F&AM

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Here's a youtube link to a run by Project JK of the 2 trails.

One of the forks of the Kern river run through the meadow.[/COLOR]
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdqPjpLqNY

Comment

Thanks, I just finished watching those The "Project JK" guys did a great job getting all the videos posted up that they've done... I use em like game films for trails I've never ran but am headed out to.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Take your fishing tackle with you!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

x3 on Monanche being a pleasant destination:
              http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Family/Tra...24113471_fsZvU

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Great pics! Thank you for posting, I'm for sure planning a trip up here this summer, with my fishing gear Roger.
                Last edited by TipsE-Z; 12-07-10, 09:04 AM.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Anybody ever wheeled mineral king?
                  An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

just my :2: last summer I was up in the Kennedy meadows area it snowed on us, we weren't expecting snow in June and had to leave a day early, the weather report doesn't tell the whole story and it's really close to 10,000' so bring a jacket...
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                      just my :2: last summer I was up in the Kennedy meadows area it snowed on us, we weren't expecting snow in June and had to leave a day early, the weather report doesn't tell the whole story and it's really close to 10,000' so bring a jacket...
                      Good call. I usually try to keep enough stuff with me to be prepared for anything and as I'm working on a "trunk" set up I'll for sure toss in a couple jackets. Thanks for the advice, I most likely would have over looked that possibility.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

Da Bears

I had a bear decide to camp inside my jeeep when I was up there a couple years ago, at the same spot Nathan shot those picks from. Big boy, very friendly type.

Comment

Working...
                        X